icon

Desperately need help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakerguy5 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
ok here's the deal, i had a setup consisting of one rockford puch stage 3 on a sony 760w with a kenwood 4 channel 640w running my speakers. all of it was hooked up to a clarion eqs560 equalizer. i wanted to build a fiberglass box and hook up two additional kenwood amps one for each sub with the existing kenwood 4 channel and get rid of the sony. the problem is now i get no power to the equalizer or the amps but my dvd player and lcd still work fine. the power windows also dont work now. i checked all of the connections and spent most of today rewiring everything and checking grounds, but the curious thing is that the eq and kenwood amp stopped working after i took out the sony amp, i didnt touch anything else just unplugged the sony.
if anyone has any tips or needs more info please let me know. i am stumped.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
where are your remote wires coming from, the deck or elsewhere?  I don't know how you wired it, but my guess would be to check the car's fuse panel for a blown fuse.  If you happened to tap into an acc wire from the power windows and then shorted a remote when switching amps, you would've blown that particular fuse.  But then again, I don't know how you've wired it so I could be wrong.
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

I agree.... Check the fuses.

If you can, get your hands on a multimeter, and check the wiring for continuity... You might've cut/disconected an important wire without noticing it.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
3rd vote for the fuse, might even be under the hood. Where did you connect the remote on lead to the eq from? Did you use a relay to trip the remote on leads to all items? Sounds like crispy circuit somewhere. Please tell me that your system was off when you unplugged the Sony.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
lakerguy5 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
my system was off when i unplugged the sony. the accy wire i tapped in to was in the factory stereo harness, how would i know which fuse i am looking for if that was to be the problem. also, how could a fuse blow without anything turned on and by simply removing an amp.
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

If you didn't disconect the battery,  ANY positive cable that touches the veihicle chasis WILL create a short, and generate a large amount of heat in a very short time,  If you're lucky enough to have a fuse, it will blow. If you don't have a fuse... run for a fire extinguisher.

Remember!  Always unplugg your negative battery post whenever you're going to mess with the electrical system.

forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic