Exceeding input voltage on amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steve West 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Hey there, long time just bin readin.

I got myself a 551s/x RF amp and its rated at a maximum input voltage of 4v. Im gonna upgrade my headunit soon to a pioneer high end jobbie, but that would be loading in 6v. Would it damage the amp so much though pushing in 6v if at all? Cheers for ya replies!

Steve    

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

The Pioneer will make 6 volts when it is going downhill, with everyone rowing, the subs facing backwards to use the bass wave for more power, the wind blowing the right direction etc. People believe what they read, so read this. Buy Sparkomatic because their radio say 6 volts and it is half the price of the Pioneer. Obviously I'm kidding, just like the 6volt claim on the Pioneer cd player. It is called a max voltage and it may make it for a brief snapshot intime, it may be distorting all over the map or may make that voltage at 1000hz but is a general claim only. No it will not damage your amp. There are alot of cdplayer in this industry that claim high ratings like this, it is a good thing there is also forums like this to dismiss such claims. If you like the cd player, then go for it. Have you considered any others?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steve West 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

hey

Nah there ain't much choice here ova in the UK, no Eclipse, no Nakamichi, no RF. Id go for a Kenwood but they look propper messy along with the Alpines that look just like the 2003 stuff.

The Pioneers are rated propper high though on there website for SQ. was thinking of going for the 9600mp, New Clarion line up looks real nice though. 

Cheers for that info though mate, very useful knowledge!  

lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

Continuing this discussion, you dissmiss the pioneer 6V claim and i agree with you Rob.

But... for the sake of argument, suppose it was real... How would that affect the amp?

Would you turn the gain down?? Off the top of my head...

forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
If the HU produces 6V and the amp can only accept 4V, it will generally work OK for most listening situations.  The problem is you could easily overdrive the amp and produce clipping, and you could produce an uncontrollable hiss or high-pitched whine in the system as the amplifier input stage tries to handle the increased voltage.  ALWAYS start with gains all the way down when setting up an amp, and anytime any portion of the input chain is changed the gain must be reset.  In general, a 4V amp driven by a 6V or 8V head will require the gain to stay on (or very near) the bottom peg.
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I have always been told that it is far easier to blow the input section of an amp as opposed to the output section. I dont know if its true but if it is could someone explain to me why it is.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it is true, as the solid state components on the input section tend to be less able to handle heat.  The output transisters are designed with heat sinks, etc. built in, but the input stage generally is not.  So overdriving the amp can "blow" input side first, absolutely.  Most high quality amps, however, use components designed for 150 to 300% rated input current before they reach thermal breakdown.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic