icon

How many layers is enough for 3 15s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

So as some of you guys might already know.. I am putting 3 15"s in a fiberglass enclosure in the back of a PT Cruiser.

I just finished my 3rd layer of chop mat on the outside of the enclosure. Now, my question is.. I don't know how many more layers to go!. When I press on the curved areas after the 3rd layer dried.. it didn't budge. When I push on some of the flat areas, they don't flex or budge either. Now, I realize I need to put more layers on. My next step is to put a layer of mat on the inside.

From reading past posts, some people say 3 layers is enough.. some people say 7 is enough. But, no one takes into consideration if it's chop mat, what size chop mat, or what about cloth!. As for my scenerio, I am using 1.5oz chop mat, and nothing else. So being I am using chop mat.. how many layers should I apply?. I figured 3 on the outside (which is done), and 3 on the inside. Is that too much, or too little?.

tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
you seem to be about right with 6 total
tj
team_outkast 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
you can use thixotropic powder with resin to make it alot faster less layers less hassle,u can make it up to about 1inch thick in less than thirty minutes,u mix this stuff 1to3 Ratio...one part resin three parts filler(thixo)..thixtropic powder is a resin filler in a sense,if you can get ahold of this stuff u can usually put down about one layer of mat and and just fill it with resin and thixo.........its super thick if you mix it this way,and u can even put it on upside down without running....Dont waste all your time adding layers and layers,,,when u can get this stuff and use 70%less resin and be done with it in half the time,ive learned this from some of the best glassers in the industry.
Team_Outkast
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  

I usually try to use 4 layers of 1.5 oz. mat.  But 3 should be sufficient. 

BTW, you can lay down up to 3 layers at a time.  That should save you some time.  Just be sure to have the pieces ready to go before you mix your resin.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
im sayin about 6 or 7.  3 15" subs will create quite a bit of compression inside a sealed box.  you dont want it to blow apart.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
i would say 8-10 for 3 15's depending on how flat and big the area is. post pics when done
dream it, build it, fiberglass it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic