icon

MTX vs JL's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone would know which might be better, MTX or JL audio.  I was planning on getting 3 subs for my car, either 3 12 inch JL W6 (older version, not V2), or 3 MTX thunder 8000.  The MTX 8000 has more rms power than the JL w6. Does any one of them sound cleaner than the other? Obviously, the MTX will slam harder due to the power rating, but will the JL's sound cleaner? Thanks, mike
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

I don't feel that the MTX "slam harder"  I had 6 JL audio 12W6 in my blazer, I have nothing but great compliments for that speaker,  Im sure you would be extremely happy with them.

~Jay

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
ya well, im sure 6 of any woofer in a blazer would get nothing but compliments. MTX vs JL's -- posted image. As for them slamming harder? eh, I dont know the specs off the top of my head, but i'd say they are pretty closely matched woofers. I've never heard the old w6's, but i cant imagine them going down in quality or performance switching to the v2, so they cant be that bad. it's really up to you. just make sure you have an amp capable of powering them properly.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, as thapimps gettin at - as far as them "slamming harder" - that has less to do with the power ratings of the speaker, it's all in how much power you give them.  Also I think JL has truer ratings, MTX pads their numbers i think.

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
In my experience with MTX the numers are anything but padded. Th 8000 are rated for 400 watts rms but I have consistently being doing them in customers cars off of a bd 501. 1 sub one amp and a whole lotta thump, no complaints yet.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
MTX is alrite, and it may have a higher watts rms than the JL, all that means is you'll need a bigger amp to power them. Its not the watts JL uses, its how they use them. They run real low watts and still "slam hard". The JL uses little watts to get the job done efficiently. I would venture to say that JL would hit harder or about the same, and probally be m,ore clear. Either choice, its going to be good, but i would go with the JL's on this one.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, both are good subs man. I couldnt give you an opinion on which to chose other than going to the store and listening to them both,  and or buying whichever fit into your price range.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
when you compare brands of subs you need to specify more what you are looking for.  all of the jl brand is built more for sound quality than spl. but the mtx brand is more a sql company leaning towards the spl side of that. jl speakers will always sound better and in alot of installations still "slam" and give you that deep bass "feeling"  more than alot of brands. where as mtx does achieve the deep bass "feeling" very well their sounds isn't up to par with the jl products. i would take jl over mtx most any day of the week but that is a personal decision.
Quad L Handyman services
augydoggy 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
Just because the MTX's have a higher rms doesnt mean they are more powerful than the JL's. A Sony Xplod at 600W isnt gonna destroy a JL at 300W. Its quality, not quantity.  Personally I would go with the JL's. And to the guy with the 6 JL's in his Blazer, that must sound KICK ASS!
bighauns 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

I would recommend the JL's...they will sound better and slam just as hard.  I found with experience in both subs that the JL is all around better.  JL is the way to go.  In my opinion...JL compares to Alpine and I had at one point 2 MTX Thunder 8000's in my car. And then off of the same amp I had 2 Aline Type R 12's.  The same amp....and the Alpines were lounder and sounded better.  If that makes sense :-)

Hope this helps.

alex

bring on the boom!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic