icon

Momentary Latch Relay 0v Output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hellraz0r1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Ive been messing with alot of relay (spdt and single/double coil latches) and I cant get a good circuit.

Id like to have a momentary ground pulse turn on a constant ground, then a second pulse turn it off.

I know your going to point me to the latching setups and tell me to add yet another relay, the problem is Im making 3 switches, so thats 15+ relays!!! Thats just un acceptable, Can anyone point me to a good design or where I can find a single latching relay with a non dependent coil (IE you dont have to reverse voltage), I cant seem to find any. Thanks for any input.

-Chad

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
you want to togle with a momentary switch? Its not really easy to do with just relays, if you want that many outputs you wil need a ton of relays.
Hellraz0r1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

OK maybe u misunderstood me, Each switch is going to control 1 output, for a total of 3 different isolated circuits, making the relay cound 15+

Id Like to cut down on the number of relays.

-Chad

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
i think i understand, you want 3 switches that each have one output, the output state toggles with each press of the associated switch....?.. that would be a mess with 15 relays... You could use JK flip-flops tied as T flip flops, you will have to condition the input to remove the switch conact bounce though... you would also need driving transistors on the outputs to sink enough current for the relays...
Hellraz0r1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
i had a circuit for a ic4027 but it never worked.... i got some latching relays but they have dpependent coils, im gettin screwed from every direction. I was hoping to get a latching circuit down to 3 relays but i doubt that is gonna happen. i only need the 0v output for some leds i have wired into my gauge cluster so Im thinking about using the 4 relay latch do drive my accessory with 12v and a transistor through a 5v regulator + resistor for my ground... thats still 12 relays tho... 
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
the JK should work, but there is a good amount of circuitry needed to filter the contact bounce. That many relays is kinda overkill. One way would be to use a microcontroller and just write some code for it... Since you are only driving LEDs the current draw is very little...
Hellraz0r1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  

this is a copy of the schematic i used:

Momentary Latch Relay 0v Output - Last Post -- posted image.

it did not work at all...

Ive been looking for some info on turning this into a T-Flop but I just cannot find any...

robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

When the button is pressed, the capacitor connected to the base of the conducting transistor will charge to a slightly higher voltage. When the button is released, the same capacitor will discharge back to the previous voltage causing the transistor to turn off. The rising voltage at the collector of the transistor that is turning off causes the opposite transistor to turn on and the circuit remains in a stable state until the next time the button is pressed and released. Note that in the LED circuit, the base current from the conducting transistor flows through the LED that should be off, causing it to illuminate dimly. The base current is around 1 mA and adding a 1K resistor in parallel with the LED will reduce the voltage to about 1 volt which should be low enough to ensure the LED turns completely off.

if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic