icon

2nd time blowing these 6x9's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok well today i was playing my stereo and i heard a pop in my 6x9's next thing you know i blew one of them, which i dont understand i have a knack for hearing distortion..:\ this is my 2nd time blowing these 6x9's, the first time they were on high-pass filter, now when i installed them again they were on normal filter. is there a key role into finding how loud your 6x9's could really go!?
xTimx
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
usally listing for distorting. u don't want to listen to them till ya go deaf.imo.
southsider
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Can you define "blow" (No dirty jokes pleaaaaase)2nd time blowing these 6x9's -- posted image.?

Did you burn the coil?  Did the spider or the cone rip or come appart?  Does it still play??

Did you see smoke at any point?

forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
no smoke..the woofer was just blown, but the tweeter was still going!
xTimx
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like overpower to me.  What's the speakers and what's the amp?
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

If you are running subs, the output of the subs masked the distortion coming out of the 6x9's. Also if the back of the 6x9's are in the same airspace as the subs, the subs will physically cause the cones of the smaller 6x9's to move when they are not supposed to. In any case, the crossover should be turned on and the gain needs to be turned down. If the speakers do not have "hats" on them, pick some up. XTC makes some good speaker hats that are very inexpensive.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
lensam69 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

Ok... my english has failed me...  What are  "hats"?? Are you refering to dustcaps Rob??

xTimx,  Can you elaborate a bit more on your speaker configuration??  Are they sitting in an enclosure with the sub(s) like Rob said?? Do you have subs??

forbidden wrote:
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
A speaker hat protects a speaker from moisture and dirt and mounts behind it. It also provides a box and would protect your 6x9s from over-excursion because of the amount of air your subs are moving in your trunk. Here are some from XTC like Rob mentioned.
lensam69 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ohhhhhh ok...  yeah, of course i know what those are...  Just never refered to them as hats before...  Thanks!
forbidden wrote:
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
ok well here is the set up:
i have a RF 301x running the mb quart 6x9's and 3.5s, neither of the gains for the front and rear speakers are even passed half. the 6x9's are underneath the rear deck. when i'm driving by myself i always flip down the rear seat to listen to music.
when i tweak the system out i disconnect the RCA's that are running the rears and subs and leave the fronts on, turn up my HU till about half (25) but since i dont want a heavy load on the amp i turn the HU up to 30 then turn up the gain for the front speakers on the amp till its sufficient. disconnect the fronts and plug in the rears. do the same. and the same with the subs.
its kinda weird, both my gains on the amp for the fronts and rears are set the same. and my 6x9s keep blowing and not the 3.5's? hmmmm
if it helps any, this the set up i have on my equalizer on the HU
                                          --(+1)--(+1)
----------------------==-----==-----==---------------
               --(-1)
        --(-2)
--(-3)
the max height and depth for the sliders are 5 and -5
xTimx
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic