icon

starter kill tips?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pooreclipse 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

What are some of your favorite ways too hook up the starter kill.

When you cut the starter wire from the ign harness, it's so obvious that the odd wire just coming out there is the starter wire..  make it a little easier to figure out which wire to jump?

Or do you blend it with the rest of the thick wires going to the alarm and tape it all up.

ranquist 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I like making my own startkill relays with all the same colors then tape them up
Pooreclipse 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I have a question about the starter kill.

1)  How does the starter work?  Is it always have 12V going to it? Or always grounded waiting for 12V?    that wire you are cutting, it has 12V right.

2)  Now secondly I see the starter relay schematic everywhere, why does it have a diode across 85 and 86, what is that supposed to do?  Is that built into every relays or it's something you have to add yourself?   I don't understand why is there a need for the diode anyway?

ranquist 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
85 and 86 are interchangable one side to ground the other to 12v. That triggers the relay from87a to87 which would now be connected to 30. The starter wire is only 12v at start then ground once you let go of the key. One side of the cut starter wire connects to 87a the other to 30.This lets the car start as normal. Once activated while alarm is set the relay switches to87 which opens the circuit and prevents the car from starting. The diode is to isolate 85 and 86 so that the 12v on one side and ground on the other from shorting themselves
Bendog 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

you dont need a diode for a starter kill relay. the diode in the case of a relay is used for spike suppression. some relays already come with a built in diode which you wire - on 85 and + 86.  but if they dont come with the diode 85 and 86 can be reversed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic