the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

sub bottoming out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

The theory is that more exrursion capability = better downfiring performance, since the effect of gravity on the cone will not use up too much of the Xmax (excursion) capability.  Longer throw woofers with extended 'bump plates" work best in downfiring installations.

Woofer with the specs you list = sag percentage of about 5.32%.  WAY too much for downfiring, it could easily be "bottomed out" and the voice coil will eventually fry.

Support the12volt.com
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
can u tell me the formula for sag using my numbers. i looked up the other post but cant get it.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

"The following is the same formula, including the relationship of acceleration and Pi in this case:

Percentage of Sag = 981,000 / (Xmax * (2 * Pi * Fs)˛)

where

- 981,000 is acceleration due to gravity (mm/S˛) * 100 (for the percentage).

- Xmax is the maximum linear excursion of a loudspeaker voice coil while remaining within the magnetic flux field (mm). - Fs is the free-air resonant frequency of the woofer (Hz)
- Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference and diameter, usually rounded to 3.14.

As a general rule of thumb, any time the sag exceeds 5% of the driver's Xmax, it's not recommended for a down-firing subwoofer application."

I wanted to see if I understood this too.  Above is from the post DYohn made about downfiring.  Now when I use your numbers, 14.15 mm XMAX and 23.32 Fs, I come up with 3.23% sag.  But I'm no mathmatician.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Beerman354 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
What if the sub has 25 xmax and 0 fs? Does it have 0 % sag?
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Try some real numbers.  0 Hz Fs, sheeeesh.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Beerman354 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart 
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, I thought you were pulling some legs here.  But it is a typo anyway.  It should be 32 Hz.
Beerman354 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
If my calc's are correct thats .97% of sag. So this sub should work great downfiring correct?
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
i got 3.23 too.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
stevdart 
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, can't go wrong with an inch of XMAX.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic