icon

Rockford vs Sony, which one for subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I probably know which one you guys are going to say but I have to ask anyway.  I have 4 full range 6x9 speakers with each channel wired in parallel to draw the 2 ohm load and also 2 350 wrms subs.  Between the Sony XM-DS1600-P5 at 900 bridged watts and the RF 851S bridged at 900 watts, which amp should I use for the subs and which for the 6x9s? 
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
u currently own both amps?? or u are going to be purchansing these... if purchasing y did u choose these?
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

That's a loaded question.  Most people (including myself) here in the forum will tell you that a sony product may not be the way to go (they don't last long).  In my opinion, you'll probably get a better response from the RF amp on the subs.  I would suggest running the 6x9's off of the sony for a week with the RF on the subs and then swicth them and  see which setup sounds better to your ears. 

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Rockford vs Sony, which one for subs? -- posted image.
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Fosgate good, Sony bad.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

alex75 said it all. Sony is a cheap brand and you get what you pay for: not much. I personally wouldn't let a sony amp power any of my subs. I would deffinetly use the Fosgate for the subs and the sony for the 6x9's. Sony amps also dont put as much clean power as they are rated to. Take that into consideration and dont way underpower your subs. But as said earlier, switch the amp set up and see which you think sounds better. In my opinion. Fosgate is a gaint leap up from sony. Going from Fosgate to sony is like taking a leap of a building, not good. Stick with the fosgate.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Friends don't let friends buy Sony, unless it is all they can afford and their next choice is Bose. However that said, the Sony must not remain in the vehicle for any extended period of time, otherwise a kick right square in the nuts from your best friend is in order to make you snap to. Hard lesson to learn that I do not recommend.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys for all of your input.  I think I will try Sweekster's suggestion and try switching after a week or so.  I tend to agree that the Rockford will probably work better for the subs and using the Sony to power the 6x9's will probably extend the longevity of the amp because I won't be turning it up as much.  That's my theory anyway. 

BBusbee

Vortec4800 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
alex75 wrote:
Fosgate good, Sony bad.
2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic