icon

A junk system and newbie questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daryl512 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

I own a 96 Sunfire and was just given a Kenwood KDC-217 head unit. I have noticed a signifigant decrease in sound quality (especially bass) in the otherwise stock set-up. A friend told me that the reason is that stock stereos generally have an amp built into them, is this true?

I want the sound to be better so I bought two new Lightning Audio 6x9's from Wal-Mart and a 180 watt amp off of Ebay. The new speakers are rated to 220 watts. What could I expect from this set-up compared to the original speakers and stereo? I'm just hoping to get a little better than what it was.

Also, As far as connecting the the amp to the ignition wire...which do I use? I did a search on this site and looking in my manuals and it seems that I need to run to the yellow wire but there are two in there. Is there a way to find out which? Thanks

Daryl512

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
Factory radios (and all head units) have a built in amp that is correct. Some higher end ones also have a pre-amp output that you can connect to an external amp that is usually better in quality than that head units' built-in amp. As far as wiring goes, you have basically power, ground(-ve) and ignition and speaker outs and maybe a remote-power to turn on an external amp. I don't have the wiring diagram for your head unit not do I have time to search the specs on the internet as I am in a hurry right now, but I am sure someone here can help you with that. You'll be surprised as to how easy it is to hook these things up.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
On the ignition wire, I'm assuming that you are refering to the remote turn on for the amp, on the harness for the remote, it is a blue wire, that is your power control, that is the correct way to install your amp, if you run to ignition, anytime you turn the car on, the amp will be on, as where if you connect it to the Kenwood harness, or any aftermarket deck(for the most part, some decks do not have preouts, or p. cont. wires.) it is controlled by the power on your deck.If you turn it off, the amp will turn off, and vice versa.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
another thing to take into consideration is that some car mfg's radios have a different Ohm output on the deck.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

chasesaccessori wrote:
another thing to take into consideration is that some car mfg's radios have a different Ohm output on the deck.

Remember that decks don't "output" ohms.  Speakers create ohms.  Amps don't care what you hook to them and will try to deliver their current into whatever load is there, but they operate better and safer into specific loads.  What you mean, I bleive, is that many newer car audio manufacturers use 2-ohm OEM speakers so that the low-powered factory amps they use to save money and weight will sound "louder" to the average buyer.

Support the12volt.com
PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Not all stock units have a built in amp.I would know because my car didnt have one.But when you put the new speakers in and take out the stock its going to a big differeance in quality sound.Most stock speakers arnt really made for quality to jam to.Stock crap is just made so that your car has some kind of system. but when you go from stock to anykind of vender speaker your going to get a big differance in quality becuase of how they are made.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Which stock unit did you have and did it have an external amp instead?? Interesting. Curious to know which one.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
There are quite a few cars with external amps as opposed to internal amps. A lot of high end cars have them, and off the top of my head I know the BMW Mini has one too on the upgraded stereo system
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic