icon

Geting new Sub, how to wire it? Ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I have an older RF 800a2 amp that is absolutely awsome.  I have been driving a JL 10w0 (4ohm) sub with that...and I think its time to upgrade the sub to get some more of the Amp's potential out of it.  (sealed box).

Due to hatch space limitations (I have a 1991 Rx-7), I want to stick to a single 10" system.  I have narrowed the field down to either a JL 10w6v2, or the older 10w6. 

Now, for the question:  My Amp will go down to 2 ohms, maybe even 1 ohm, but since my car is a hatch, and I am no longer 18 years old, I have no desire to crack my windshield, get a nose bleed, or make my girlfreind bra unclip just from the sound of the bass!  So, I wanted to drive the sub at 4 ohms, to get 200 watts oer channel out of the Amp.  However, the 10w6v2 wants more power than that, so I would probably need to take that sub down to 2 ohm - and 800 total watts.  The regular 10w6, can be wired at 3 ohms or 6 ohms. 

What do you guys recomend I do?  I dont want a system that hits too strong, I am not competing...just enjoying my daily driving.  Would 800 watts at 2 ohms be too much for me?  Should I go with the 3 ohm setup?  Should I look for another sub that I can wire to 4 ohms? 

Please, I would appreciate any advise.

-A

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
just wire it for 800w and turn the sub output on ur deck or the gain setting on ur amp down low so u wont notice that much bass till much higher volumes..or turn the bass to -XX on ur deck
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
You're driving a sub at 4 ohms now, but you said you want to unleash more power from the amp.  Then you said everything that makes me think you should stick to the 4 ohm power rating.  I think you should listen to some other subs instead of narrowing the choices to those you mentioned here.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
If what you are looking for is better SQ than you have now, forget about JL altogether and listen to a JBL W10GTi, a Nakamichi SP-W1000D, an Eclipse Titanium SW9102, or a Planet V10D.
Support the12volt.com
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Is JL more of a SPL sub?  I guess Im more of a noob than I thought.  Can someone post up a good link describing the differences between SQ and SPL subs and which brands are know more for which?
1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

The one thing that you have going for you here is power, and tons of it. This amp will make a minimum of 200 w rms per channel @ 4ohms or 800w rms x 1 @ 4 ohms. If a one sub system is in the works for you, it somewhat limits the sub choice if you look at this conventionally. This means that you assume that you must run a 4 ohm svc sub. This is not the case. You can run a dvc 3 ohm sub or dvc 4 ohm sub or single 8 ohm sub with no problems at all. Personally if my other half was in the car, I would want to have the bra clip come undone, that's just me though Geting new Sub, how to wire it? Ohms -- posted image.. I would choose a dvc 4 ohm sub and wire it up in series. This will make it an 8 ohm sub and knock the amps power back to something reasonable so that you can actually listen to the music. The JL is a good sub, personally I would head in the direction of one Eclipse Aluminum SW8102dvc and build the proper 1.25 cu.ft sealed enclosure for it and play away to your hearts content. I think the Titanium model that Dyohn mentioned is an awesome sub, but is probably a little more than you would require.

www.eclipse-web.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

The very best way to get an idea of the different subs is to read posts through this forum.  It takes some time, but you will be getting opinions from a lot of knowledgeable people on the different brands.  Since music doesn't exist unless you hear it (does a tree falling make a sound?), it becomes each persons opinion based on what they each hear.  If there were a list as you ask for...it would be one person's personal opinion.

Also look through the speaker manufacturer's web sites.  Often they will flat-out tell you if a particular sub is made for loudness or if it is more musical in nature (SPL vs. SQ).  A great start would be to look closely at the speakers DYohn described.  Read up on them, then find at your local retailers and have an audition.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic