Ecclipse Sub Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I just picked up an SW8012.4 on ebay for a nice price.  I limit myself to one 10" so I don't go broke.  I need to now how much selaed volume this guy needs to for best low frequency responce.  Eclipse says 2.94 CuFt, is that total or net volume?  Or something else all together?  I have a small amp, a punch 160 a2 so all I got is 160 rms briged, will that be enough to run the sub?  I don't like breaking windows or making my ears ring, I just like clear sound with good frequency responce.  I drive a subaru and the old MTX 10" I had was ok, but just ok.

Thanks

shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
forgive my typing, that would be a SW8102.4, the 10" with the aluminum cone, SVC 4 Ohm.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
This sub needs a 1.25 cu.ft. (internal volume) sealed enclosure. Make 100% sure that the gain on the amp is not set too high, it will clip all over the map and that nice new sub will be toast in no time flat. Where did you pick up the sub from?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

well I got one hell of a deal- $180 shipped from a reliable vendor on E-bay with a one year warranty (from them). 

I wasn't going to get a new sub, but I had to take this one at this price.  Like I say I don't have big enough amp to really drive this pig.  I have a MTX prefab box (3/4") that is about 1.25 CuFt.  That should work out ok then.  Mabey I should reinforce the front pannel.  Anything else I should consider?  Also what amp whould reccomend to drive this sub?  I more a quality thean a quality guy, I dont need to shake my nieghbors house apart.  I like eclipse in genneral but have no experiance with thier subs.  If it heks my HU is a CD8443.

shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Agin forgive my typing .  I suppose I should mention I am on a budget, so like $250-300 at most. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Find yourself a respectable 2 channel amp that will bridge to 4 ohm mono and give between 400 - 600 w rms. There are lots of decent amps out there to consider. I would add a second front to the sub box, again made out of 3/4", these subs have a habit of ripping right out of 3/4" mdf with relative ease. DO NOT MOUNT THE SUB WITH DRYWALL SCREWS. They will snap in half, use a good stainless robertson of the proper size, no longer than 2".
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help.  To bad for now I'm stuck with 160a2.  I'll hopefully I'll have somehting better in a few months.  For now what would you recommend for a starting point on the gain and "punch" control of the amp I have now?  With my 1999 MTX Blue thunder both controls are at about 50%, but i have to watch the volume and non-fader sometimes.

I hear these subs have good sensitivity and that they really...  um, "disrupt space time "

You seem to know eclipse from what I've read here, how are thier amps? For quality? How about Value?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic