icon

Fiberglass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

This my my first time attempting to build a fiberglass box.  I know that fiber glass resin hardens real fast so I am planning on doing my box in steps.  The box is going in a truck so I am looking at doing it it sections. 

Is doing it in sections going to make the box weaker and create a situation where the box may fall apart at the seams are connected?

Also, since I am going to use the body of the interior truck so that I can mold the box to fit the floor I am thinking about lining it with foil to keep the resin from sticking to the carpet.  Is it safe to use a t-shirt to do the initial frame work since it requires less resin to soak and I plan on covering it with fleece and mat to strengthing it once it hards and I can take it out of the truck.   

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
ok, you can do it in sections.  it may be weak at the seams, so you will have to reinforce those areas.  id put bracing throughout the enclosure as well.  and you can use a tshirt instead of fleece.  the only thing that does is allow you to have a platform to lay the fiberglass on.  also, if your using a tshirt for that, i wouldnt stretch a fleece over it as well.  just either/or.  i prefer fleece just because its a little thicker, so it soaks up more resin and that makes it a little stouter than a thinner cloth would be.  with a tinner cloth, youll also want to make sure to stretch it REALLY tight.  otherwise it will sag, which you dont want cause its a bitch to fix.  and i would definately use tin foil and lots of tape anywhere you dont want the fg to stick because it is quite permanent.  i put two layers of masking tape everywhere, then taped up a layer of tinfoil. 
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
the foil will work, however I am partial to lining the area with duct tape. T shirt material will work fine. That is what I use most of the time when I cover a frame. Just make sure it isn't too stretchy.
     As far a building the box in pieces I'm not to sure. how fast your resin hardens depends on how much MEKP you put in it and what the weather is like. In a warm humid environment it will harden much quicker than in a cool dry one. I would try to put as much down at one time as possible (2-3 layers) and then pull it out. Also make sure you sand the surfaces you are going to apply more glass to between layers so it will stick better (just light sanding). Mix the MEKP on the light side and just glass away dude.
If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  

I will be starting my project next week...    Since I am looking at putting the box in a truck I have been debating on how to actually lay out the initial frame.  Here is what I am thinking and please if any one can help me out.

After making the bottom mold I am planning on using a thin peace of board like a 1/4 inch thick or thinner for the front of the box.  The purpose is because I want the front of the box to be straight accross but I need an angle of about 60 degrees.  Than I will sit the front board on the bottom mold.  I will use hot glue and some small braces to hold the front in place on the bottom.  Once in place, I plan on glassing the front board to the bottom.  So far does this sounds like it will work..

sam1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
sounds good to me, except for the 1/4" MDF.  a 12 would blow that apart quick style.  if you want to keep this box, i would definately suggest at least 5/8".  i use 3/4" MDF or fiberglass for all my enclosures.  but other than that, should be pretty easy. 
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you gonna make a mold i would DEF suggest making a speaker ring and wrapping it in fleece to get that custom fiberglass look instead of using MDF.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
tckustoms 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
  I'm also a first time glasser. I have a 04 scion xb and i want to glass in 2 matts 12's to the roof. My question is with the speaker rings how do you support them in the angles to lay the fleese. thanks
tckustoms
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
if this is your first project, i would definately not suggest glassing anythiung to a roof..... try a flush floor or some kicks first......    I went overboard on one of my first projects and it caused me alot of wasted time and money... if i did the same job now... it would cost nearly nothing...... you really gotta practise with the stuff first
sam1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

first time glassing huh?  fun stuff.  well anyways, i dont know if youve seen this link before, but it helped me a lot when i first learned how to glass.  http://www.e-kittan.com/fibre.html  but anyways, now for your question.  to support my speaker ring i used 4 pieces of 1" x 1/8" wood.  i just positioned the ring how i wanted it to look, then made some cardboard templates so i could get all the lengths and angles right.  then i cut my wood pieces and stuck them in there and played with them until i got it perfect.  then i just hot glued them in.  simple as that.  i glassed them in once i got the fleece on too, so that they are permanent supports.

tckustoms 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
 hey sam1 thanks for the link i read therw it and it will help me in buliding the my first fiberglass box.
tckustoms
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic