icon

91 Honda Accord Bumper Light Wiring Tip

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sickhonda 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2002 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
 91 Honda Accord Bumper Light Wiring Tip -- posted image. I own a 1991 Honda Accord SE. The bumper light is normally used for signal purposes and that's the only time they are on or active.  I want to make use of the bumper light as driving light, rather than getting an aftermarket type, like PIAA, etc., which will end up being stolen anyway .  I was given this suggestion by another user from another forum.  He actually moved the wires from the corner light (steady on when headlights engaged) to the bumper and replaced the 168/194 connector to a 1156/57 type.  He made a little modification inside the casing to accomodate the two lamps and the new connector, meaning he retained the original amber bumper lights inside and added the second (xenon white).  The bumper light is now steady on and bright, and the amber still blinks when signaling but he lost the corner steady light.  I want to duplicate the same modification but slightly different.  I don't want to lose my corner steady light.  Is there a better way in doing this, as far as wiring a new set of 1156/57? Not really good with automobile electrical wiring so I need suggestions.  I need to create a new 12V source to juice up the new set of lamps but from where?  Will splicing from headlight wiring be an option or is a Big No, No?  Sure don't want to end up with overloading problem.  I want them to turn on when the headlights are on.  Appreciate any help.
go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2002 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

are they clear lens in the bumper? You could wire the bumper ones to stay on and also flash with the turn signals. They will actually turn off when the signals turn on.

Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
sickhonda 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2002 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by go2pac on August 29, 2002

are they clear lens in the bumper? You could wire the bumper ones to stay on and also flash with the turn signals. They will actually turn off when the signals turn on.

91 Honda Accord Bumper Light Wiring Tip -- posted image.  Negative,  the OEM bumper lens is amber and it flashes only when signaling.  I intend to replace it with an aftermarket euro clear bumper lens.  I would like to retain the amber color lamp for signaling and add a xenon clear lamp, steady on, inside the same casing.  Two lamps in one casing, each with its own purpose, a driving light and signal light.  This way it doesn't attract the five-O's as much.  I can easily make the hole modification to connect the 1156/57 socket with my trusted Dremel.  What I need to know is where to tap in for juice for the new set of clear xenon lamps so they'll turn on along with my headlights and stay on even when I'm signaling, without causing an electrical overload.
go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2002 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Tap into the corner lens.

Karl
sickhonda 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2002 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Tap into the corner lens.

91 Honda Accord Bumper Light Wiring Tip -- posted image.  I was thinking of that originally. By tapping into the corner lens where the 168/194 bulb is, and adding the line for 1156/57 bulb, will that existing line be able to handle the extra juice pull?  No danger of overloading or popping the fuse?  I believe each 168/194 only pulls 5W of power, how much more will be added if I decide to add two 1156/57, one each corner?  I simply don't want all my efforts to go to waste if it'll end up overloading the line.  BTW, I want you to know, I appreciate all the time and input you're putting into this post.
go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2002 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
If the bulbs are 5 watts then you would be drawing an additional 0.35 - 0.42 amps for each corner. So you would be taking about the most 1 amp total. So you are pretty much safe.
Karl
sickhonda 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2002 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
If the bulbs are 5 watts then you would be drawing an additional 0.35 - 0.42 amps for each corner. So you would be taking about the most 1 amp total. So you are pretty much safe.
The 1156 bulb is rated as 27W each.  So I will be adding about 2+ amps for each corner.  Plus the two original 194 corner lamps which is drawing about  5W (.35 -.42) amps.  Roughly, summing it up to around 5 -6 amps in all by your calculation, does that sound right?  That much amps being drawn from a single 12 V line, doesn't that sound like an overload waiting to happen?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic