icon

amp junk?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bp_viper 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
i hooked up one of my amps today and anytime the power comes on it immediately shuts down. i know the wires were right and the sub was ok cuz i hooked up another amp and it worked fine. is the amp junk?
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

also sub is 4 ohm svc so amp should be able to run it

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
this may be a stupid question, but did you check all the wirers and connections? and the fuses on the amp or the inline fuse?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Check continuity of grounding.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like if anything.... bad REM or fuses...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect the rca's and the sub, see if it turns on, then plug in the rca's, does it turn on, then the speaker leads, does it turn on.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

where can you buy fuses if that is what it is

casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

I kinda dont think it would be anything to do with fuses. If a fuse is blown there is NO current going through it. Your amp wouldnt turn on and then off as far as I know. I had a problem similair a couple years ago. Mine was a bad ground. I found a new spot for the ground and hooked it up and it worked fine. Make sure on your ground that you remove any paint so you have a good connection. Also make sure whatever your grounding it to is grounded by the chassis of your vehicle. Im trying to think how a remote problem would play into this. One thing you might check on is your remote wire. If the wire insulation has been cut and is grounding out on something it might cause it to shut the amp off. I dont know for sure, maybe one of the stereo guru's can answer that. Just from the way it sounds to me is something is shorting out or you have a bad ground or both.

casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on the fuse you can generally buy them anywhere, via a hardware store. If your looking for something bigger or an inline fuse you might have to go to a stereo store.
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
well i know its not the ground, i got down to bare metal and secured it (plus the other amps worked fine) and i dont believe it was the remote (again, the other amps worked) i will try disconnecting everything and check to see if the power stays on and narrow it down tomorrow. thanks for the input
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic