icon

Invertor hardwire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zach Wiest 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought a 200 watt rms/ 400 watt peak power inverter to power only my xbox. i have a cigarette lighter hidden under some console and have a spilt in that to allow two divices to be connected. my lcd is in the one so i connected the inverter and xbox to the other. with this configuration the xbox would only power on for a split second. I know that the invertor has high enough wattage cuz it worked in my other car. I believe that by hardwiring the inverter to the battery with a 4 guage wire and inline 80 amp fuse, i should be ok. The invertor i purchasedonly has a cigarette lighter kit, no hardwire kit, but i plan to modify it. Which is the positive and negative in the lighter? is the tip the negative and the sides the positve or is it the other way around. Are there problems with me doing it in this way? thanks!
Zach Wiest 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
bump
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Use your meter to verify, but typically the tip is positive and the side is negative.

Something to consider is that, in RV applications, the inverter is mounted with as short as possible DC leads, and the AC side is where the long runs of wire takes place..

400 watts in DC is approx 35 amps while in AC it's less than 4 amps.

Regards,

Jim

p71-cruiser 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Don't how this help or not but I think your power wire is way too big. The inverter might shutdown early if your battery is low because of the big wire.Invertor hardwire - Last Post -- posted image.
falconey 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
You could just run your own wires for the inverter and not use the cig lighter at all. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic