icon

Box Issues to consider

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I like to get dirty on the weekends and I'm gonna build myself a box for one 10" SW8102.4.  I have built several boxes with good sucess but would like to try something different.  I want to use 3/4" fiber force with a venier (like oak or cherry, etc.) and 1" for the front.  Basically it will be a 14.5" cube with roughly 1.2 CuFt internal volume.  But unlike the nomal butt joint with screws, would a 45º mider with heavy glue and some finish nails survive?  That way there is no board end exposed or screws visible and the hardwood venier could be stained and poly'ed.  A more smooth look like cabinetry.  If this is absolutly doomed any other suggestions?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
No, that is fine, although I recomend you put a 1" X 1" brace inside each corner screwed to the side walls for seam strength, as glue and nails won't stand up to subwoofer pressure.  Also, a perfect cube is not the best shape for an enclosure, but go for it and see how it sounds.
Support the12volt.com
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
No cube eh.  How should I dimension it then?  Deeper front to back or shallower?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Well the "perfect" enclosure shape is determined by the "Golden Ratio," which is 0.62 :1.0 : 1.62 and is used because it spreads the internal resonances of the cabinet over the broadest frequency range.   This is a very important consideration in building acoustic suspension (sealed) full-range enclosures, and somewhat less important for subs.  But I still try to stay as close to it as possible when designing enclosures.
Support the12volt.com
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
Dyohm, would you mind taking a look at my most recent post and tell me what you think about that? It has to do with resonance, but instead of inside the box, im tlaking about inside the vehicle. Lemme know what you think.
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

So make consecutive dimensions close to the golden ratio,  Fibbinocci numbers, cool!  I got some ideas no

shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

So make consecutive dimensions close to the golden ratio,  Fibbinocci numbers, cool!  I got some ideas now

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic