icon

Console drawings/plans. Opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mr Mufakka 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, newbie here. Below are a few drawings of a center console I'm planning on building. I've never had any experience with fiberglassing before but a friend of mine who has is going to help me a bit.

I'm planning on cutting out the sides from MDX (basically the shape of the side profile. I'll then ad some structural supports in the corners and maybe around the front curve? Then, stretch the fabric and lay some resign down. Next we'll add the glass from the inside. Does this sound right?

Also, it's not clear in the pictures but I'm wanting to have the top open up and use the inside as a storage compartment. Also, depending on how "ballsy" we're feeling, we might install the DVD tray to exit out of the front as pictured.

Any opinions/advice/etc is welcomed.

[img]http://mufakkaracing.com/stuff/interior/side.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mufakkaracing.com/stuff/interior/side2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mufakkaracing.com/stuff/interior/side2close.jpg[/img]

Mr Mufakka 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Console drawings/plans. Opinions? -- posted image.

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

I have a nice center console in my 2000 Dodge Dakota that I could probably use as the frame for mine, but I decided to start over.  I'm going to glass and paint my dash so I'm just going to connect it down to the center console like Alpine did with one of their showcars.  They have pictures of the process and explain also how they did theirs.  I think I'm pretty much going to copy them :)  The only diffreence is that I'm not going to build a dash frame from wood and glass over that.  I'm going to wrap all the big pieces of the dash in polyester fleece and resin that. 

For the center console, I'm going to build the whole frame out of MDF so it's strong and just nail/glass the MDF together.  Then I'll probably do what you're doing.  I'll wrap it in fleece and resin it and then add the mat to the inside and maybe the outside too.  For the interior of it, I was thinking that I'll buy one of those boxy plastic CD trays that are pretty big and put that inside the console and then glass around it so it fits perfectly.  I'll only use it to store CDs and maybe DVDs.  Hopefully I'll also be installing a monitor and PS2 in the custom part that will stretch from the console to the dash.  I won't need a DVD player because the PS2 plays DVDs.  I'm just a crazy newb with big dreams.  Hey, at least I had the custom welding done for my racing seats this weekend.  Now I have two racing seats installed in a Dodge Dakota. 

Console drawings/plans. Opinions? -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
what program did you use to make those designs??
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
that sounds good to me.  looks like its going to be a good project.  are you going to be painting it or covering it in fabric or vinyl?
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
For something that will have mostly flat sides, you probably don't even have to use glass much, if at all.  You could wrap it in fleece and soak it with resin for a first thick layer after you build the MDF frame and attach it together.  Then you can coat that with Duraglass or Maraglass to make the surfaces as even as possible.  Then grind or sand that down as good as possible and then use Rage Gold bodyfiller by Evercoat and sand that smooth.  Then it's ready for high build primer, paint, and clear.  Or you can cover it with carpet or vinyl. 
Console drawings/plans. Opinions? -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Flat sides are weaker? i would say 3-4 layers just so it doesnt move.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic