icon

89 Civic Door project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Im planning on redoing my doors for my 89 Civic, but I'm not too sure about what kinda design I may want. Does anyone have any links to finished civic doors? I just need some ideas to get me goin.

Hersh

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
It probably doesn't matter what kind of doors you're doing, as long as you start with a plastic surface.  I've read on here that if you have the vinyl with padding under it covering the plastic of the door panel, you should scrape that all off and start with the plastic surface.  I'm going to redo the doors in my Dodge Dakota soon and they are plastic.  I'm going to sand them a bit and clean them good.  Then I'm going to wrap them tight with polyester fleece that I bought at Joann Fabric.  I'll probably glue the fleece to the door so it all stays tight and doesn't fall off when I resin it.  Then I'll coat the fleece with resin and let it dry.  I'm going to wrap it tight to maintain the general shape of the original door panel.  Then when it's dry I'll do a couple layers of fiberglass mat and resin and let it harden.  Then I'll send any parts that stick up.  Then I'll probably coat it with Maraglass or Duraglass and grind/sant that down and then use Evercoat Rage Gold for the body finish.  I'm sure I'll have to sand and reapply that a million times since I'm a newbie to doing this.  When it's smooth I'll either have vinyl applied by a professional furniture upholstry person if I can find one who can help me, or I'll take the two finished doors to a body shop and have them paint and clear them so they look awesome like the professional work I've seen.  I don't think the process will really be that hard.  You just have to spend the money for the supplies and be willing to spend many hours on each door.  I haven't done mine yet, but I'm guessing each door will take 20+ hours of work to get them ready for painting since I'm not an expert yet.  Be patient, and plan out what you want to do before you start and stick to your plan.  There are many posts on here about custom doors, I recommend that you read them all.  Hope this helps!
89 Civic Door project -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

i dont have a link with civic doors specifically, but this link has a ton of cars.  lots of great ideas.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/primitiveaudio/

hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

Another question I had was, if im not gonna remove the entire door, and maybe just make some fiberglass speaker boxes to mount to the door, how do I mount them? I definately dont want screws showing. Holla at me.

Hersh

djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
My advice, spend the time and effort to do a high-quality job the first time and you'll be happy forever.  I recommend that you take the plastic piece off your doors and maybe cut a hole in them where you can glass in a frame made out of MDF.  Then you can make the ring to mount your speaker out of MDF too and glue it on top of the little box frame.  I would glue the MDF box with speaker ring in the hole that you cut out of the plastic door panel.  Then glass the door and cover the frame for the speaker at the same time.  Just don't cover the hole where the speaker will show with fiberglass or you'll have to cut it out later with a dremel or something. 
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
I think 93accordSE has the right idea, but he doesn't show the pics where his speaker enclosure is attached to the door.  Maybe he hasn't done it yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic