icon

blown channel on amp ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
khosa 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have sony amp and the left chaneel is not giving any output, could it be blown. If so is there a way to fix it. I am pretty good with this stuff so if its a blown transisitor or something i can replace it, i just dont know how amps work.

nitto7 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Im not sure what sony amp you have but if its 2 channels there will be 2 different fuses.  One for the left and one for the right.  The first thing I would do is to check them.  If there still good I dont know what the problem is.
Restored '79 Firebird
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Open up the amp and check the fets mounted down the one side of the amp. They are small rectangular boxes with two metal L- shaped Pins going to the board. See if any of them look burnt, if they do then replace them.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
actually a FET will have 3 legs on it ( Gate, Drain and Supply )..... you will have to check them with a proper FET tester tho, not just look at them.... repairs of this nature are usually best left to a proper certified electronics shop to perform...unless you enjoy replacing parts under the old " Frial and Error" method
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I knew Kevin would be on top of this, and I also knew something I said would be wrong. Listen to Kevin, guy always seems to know what he is talking about.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
have you checked the RCA's and the head unit's out put also b4 all this complicated work?
Quad L Handyman services
khosa 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
yes the RCA's are fine, where can i get the FET's. Its a two channel amp and i couldn't find a fuse inside of it, theres one outside but that's for power.
kgerry 
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

you can order parts from a Sony parts depot or authorized service centre.... i would double check all other connections first tho...if the amp is powering up and playing fine on one channel then i would be very suspicious about it having a problem in the output section (i.e. FET's or Bi-polars)   in my 25 years experience as a certified electronics technician i think i've seen maybe one or two output drivers blow OPEN...they almost always short when they blow, which means as soon as you try to remote the amp on, the fuse blows or you smell smoke...

if it is indeed a problem in the amp i would look for a problem in the input stage, like a cold solder connection on the RCA input connector or pre buffer IC....like i said...if it was me and i did suspect a problem in the amp, i'd spring the cost of having it at least diagnosed by a reputable service shop before i went out and bought a new one or starting ripping it apart myself.....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Try swapping the inputs to the amp, if the left channel then works, the problem is in the head unit.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
kgerry 
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

i was kind of assuming that he had already cross-channelled not only the RCA input but also the speaker outputs to verify that the problem is indeed in the amp....   khosa, if you havent at least done this.. do it... it will tell you for sure if the problem is in the amp itself or not....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic