Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 eclipse Aluminums 10" dvc 4ohm, Model Number 88100
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

You posted this question in another thread on May 2, and DYohn suggested "If what you are looking for is better SQ than you have now, forget about JL altogether and listen to a JBL W10GTi, a Nakamichi SP-W1000D, an Eclipse Titanium SW9102, or a Planet V10D."  

Then forbidden "I would choose a dvc 4 ohm sub and wire it up in series. This will make it an 8 ohm sub and knock the amps power back to something reasonable so that you can actually listen to the music. The JL is a good sub, personally I would head in the direction of one Eclipse Aluminum SW8102dvc and build the proper 1.25 cu.ft sealed enclosure for it and play away to your hearts content."

Have you listened to these yet and if so are they eliminated?  And, as asked before me, why the dual 2 ohm option, when it will only give you 4 ohms anyway?

Well.  This is what my efforts for the past 10 days have reveald:  That my amp (an older RF 800a2) being a two channel amp is "happiest" at 4 Ohm's bridged.  This information I obtained from RF's online knowledgebases.  The only way I can think of getting good power to a single 10" sub at 4 ohms is to do it with a 2+2 ohm DVC.  The next problem that I am encountering is the enclosure limitation.  The Eclipse needs more breathing room than I have to give (1.25???)  I need a sub that will be happy in a smaller enclosure = .76 cubic feet.   I suppose a 4+4 ohm sub can be wired to 8 Ohms...but I have no clue how that will sound.  I dont think my RF amp can be bridged to 2 ohms as I have heard (and it says so on the RF knowledge base) that the amp will overheat. 

To respond to the comment about listening to the other subs...well that is just an impossibility for me considering where I live.  Here is CT, there are only a handfull of local shops, and most of them dont carry JBL or Nakamichi.  Only one shop carries Eclipse, and he only has 12's on the shelf. 

I guess I just dont understand wiring and bridging well enough...which is why I'm here asking questions. 

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
gregfocker77521 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

hey the aluminum sub will work in that .76 box i have the specs here if you want ill email it to you.........

email me at luissegovia@earthlink.net

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
as far as the impedences of the sub they were thinking maybe a single 4ohm vc instead of the dual 2ohms
Quad L Handyman services
gregfocker77521 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ketel22
Silver Member
Help me find a DVC 2+2Ohm Sub - Page 2 -- posted image.
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:14 PM - IP Logged Help me find a DVC 2+2Ohm Sub - Page 2 -- posted image.

as far as the impedences of the sub they were thinking maybe a single 4ohm vc instead of the dual 2ohms

Who's sub you referring to?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
sunshine was suggesting the use of a dual 2ohm sub because he needs the 4ohm load in mono. then he said he could use dual 4ohm for the mono in 8 ohm when people asked y he wanted to use the dual 2ohm just trying to make clear y they asked y he wanted the dual 2 ohm
Quad L Handyman services
gregfocker77521 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
ok sorry
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

A dual 2 ohm sub would be beneficial to someone using a multiple-speaker arrangement and want to present a different load on the amp than multiple 4 ohm speakers would provide.  The same is true for dual 4 ohm speakers.  Look at this Rockford site for a good wiring tool  http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

You are using one sub at 4 ohms.  It will be bridged at 4 ohms.  You don't need to limit your search to dual-voice coil subs.  I'm sure some other speaker suggestions are forthcoming, but if you can't hear...then I guess you'll be making a judgement on the merits of the testimonial.  (gregfocker wants to sell you his)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gregfocker77521 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I want to sell them but they would work with what he has you can wire both subs and present 4ohm load to the amp like he wants.

And the sub will work with that box.....I have spec. sheet to prove it........

sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
So, how would one of these subs mentioned sound at 8 ohms?  How much power will the sub see at 8 Ohms?
1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic