icon

Replacement carpet for car/trk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Since I'm customizing the whole interior of my Dodge Dakota, my project will include new carpet for the floor of the truck.  Has anyone ever recarpeted their car or truck?  If so, did you have an upholstry shop or some other specialty store do it, or did you buy a certain type of carpet and do it yourself?  I am not going to need a ton of carpet, but I'll need to make custom cuts to fit it in some strange shapes for the floor of my truck.  I probably will want dark black for the color and I'll want something that isn't too shaggy.  I'm thinking I'll want something like the carpet you find in businesses that doesn't really stick up at all.  I can scotch guard it to protect against stains.  It also needs to be flexible since it will have to contour to the shape of my truck floor which is far from being flat and rectangular or square in shape.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I found some black automotive carpet at Pep Boys that came in a large role.  It says that you can cut it and it won't fray at the edges, but I'm hesitant to trust that claim.  Also, should I buy a pair of special scissors to cut the carpet with if I buy some?  I don't think my regular scissors at home will cut something as thick and strong as even that thin auto carpet.
Replacement carpet for car/trk -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
I plan on doing this to my van also this summer, I used the carpet roll from Autozone to make a dash cover, I don't think I will use it to re carpet the floor too flimsy. I will probably use a tight pile that is simmilar to a marine carpet flexible but has a strong backing. a good pair of shears, like the trauma shears I use for work, should be good enough to cut it, a carpet knife might work better. in the places where I need to cover and conform to the interior I plan on using velcro with adhesive backing, I looked at Home Depot and they have a good selection of carpets...but they are a bit pricy. I would use the old interior carpet as a template and adjust from there.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
When everything else is done in the truck.  I guess I'll check at a few local carpet stores.  I plan to carpet as the very last step in my truck because I'm pretty much working from the top down.  I still have to decide what I'm doing with my headliner.  I'll probably get it covered with some type of swade fabric if I can find some I like and can find some upholstry person to do the work for me. 
ccjustin 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
i bought new carpet for my civic from a1automotive.com looks great and it comes precut and stamped into the right shape. basic carpet in black was 135 plus shipping
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
Where is a1automotive and what is it?
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
there are alot of places you can get molded floors....... try Van & Truck World.....     you can even buy flourescent colors.... as if
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
molded floors?  I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  I'll need some dark black carpet that is thin and can be applied to curvy areas like the floor of my Dodge Dakota.  Can this place that you mentioned custom cut some similar type of carpet in the exact shapes I need, or at least sell me the carpet so I can cut it myself?
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

with the molded replacement carpets, all you have to do is take the old one out and set the new one into the truck. Fits perfect, a lot less frustration then getting an un-molded replacement to fit.

T

djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
So you're saying that they can make a carpet that's molded to fit the floor of my exact truck and it will be pre cut to fit the exact shape of my turck too?  Is it the ful floor carpet that will cover the whole floor?  Do you have a link to this?
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
do a genreal search with either google, yahoo, msn..ect. type in "auto carpet" and shop around, many different companies to choose from. you should be able to find something relatively inexpensive.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic