icon

Defroster activation w/ RS-560 ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blader808 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Recently installed an RS-560 on a '99 Civic, but now I realize I could really use the defroster activation feature I've seen some units have. Anyone have ideas on how I could rig this to work with this unit. I have one idea that I think should work, but I'm super green with this stuff, so I'd appreciate any help you wizards could offer.
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
are you referring to hooking it up to the rear defroster?
blader808 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I'm trying to get the rear defroster to activate when I remote start. The manual switch for the defroster on this car only stays on while the ignition is on, so it's not the type of switch I can just leave on when I leave the car.
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

well, i have a 99 civic as well.  i have a clifford concept 200 alarm.  i just used a wire that has 12v+ during remote start from the intellistart IV add-on module.  i hooked it up to a relay with an on/off switch.  the other wire from the switch is connected to the wire from the climate control harness.  i had to search hard for that.  tested every wire on the harness to see what wire made the factory relay for the rear defog click.

so, if i have a feeling there's gonna be frost or snow overnight, i turn the switch on.  that way, when i remote start, my rear defog goes on as well.

blader808 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help 80085, that is pretty much what I had in mind. Do you have any recollection of what wire in the harness was for the rear defog activation? I loaned out my tester and probably won't see it again for a while.
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, i did that last summer, so i've forgotten.  next time i do some work on my car, i'll make sure to check.  it's not hard to get to.
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
hey blader, i finally had time to find that wire.  i took pics, but i won't have them online until monday.  i'll post em here after.  i think it's a blue w / YELLOW wire.
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

here's the pics.  correction to my note above - i did not use a relay.  the red wire you see coming from the left is connected to one side of an on/off switch.  the other side of the switch is connected to a wire from the intellistart module that carries 12volts when remote start is on.

if you want larger pics, pm me, and i'll email them to you. i had to resize them down to 30kb to post it here.

Defroster activation w/ RS-560 ? -- posted image.Defroster activation w/ RS-560 ? -- posted image.

blader808 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the pics. That will really help. Though I can't quite make out what color the wire is. Is it blue w/ yellow like you predicted? Since you didn't use a relay, I'm guessing that this wire goes straight to the actual rear defogger itself, not to activation circuit. Since it will receive 12 volts steady current when remote start is on, instead of a momentary pulse to activate the defogger system, like how the dashboard switch seems to work. I don't care either way, whatever works. This just wasn't quite how I envisioned it being wired. Thanks again.
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
yah, it's blue with yellow.  i'm positive about that.  i don't think this blue / YELLOW wire runs straight to the rear defogger on the back window though.  my guess is that it's the trigger for the relay that powers the rear defog.  i guess it requires a 12volt trigger, cuz when i measured it, i got 12volts.  if you sit in your car while it's on, and pay close attention, you can hear a relay clicking when you press your rear defog button.  now, since i have it hooked up to an on/off switch, if i sit in my car while remote start is running, and i quietly hit the on/off switch i installed, i can hear the same relay clicking.  i'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with how this works.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic