icon

Sound Deadener and FG Mold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaceman Spiff 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
If your going to set up an FG mold, I assume it would be best to lay sound deadener on the body panels prior to creating the mold. Is this correct? If so, and you use masking tape over the deadener, won't this create a problem in removing the tape w/o taking the aluminum deadener backing with you? I would think removing the tape will take the aluminum with it.
On another note, would it be worthwhile to make the mold thick enough so whatever is behind it can't rattle/vibrate without using deadener?
This will be a single 10" (id10v3) enclosure running about 350rms.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've read a lot of posts on here.  I think you can use painters tape or something that is not too sticky.  It should come off easily.  You can get it at Home Depot and probably Walmart too.
Sound Deadener and FG Mold -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
I take it your making a box that will be going against a metal surface. If this is so then instead of putting down deadener so the box wont vibrate against the metal surface you can go to walmart and get a can of spray on bedliner and spray the back of your box. Anywhere that wont be seen ya know. I would prob do about 3-4 layers, one can would probably cover that. a cans about $9/.hope that helps
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Spaceman Spiff 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the mold is being conformed to the rear panel in a sport trac and the panel is very thin sheet metal and makes alot of noise when you knock on it, it's not real solid.
I've got the painters tape but I have to think it's tacky enough to stick the the aluminum, I guess I'll have to try it.
So the bedliner spray should work as well.
I guess another option would be to just leave the tape on there which I guess won't matter since it will be covered.
Any other responses or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks for the responses given.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
If you plan to sell the vehicle some day, I recommend you leave the tape and foil on the back to protect the vehicle from getting anything on it.  It won't hurt with the sound deadening either.  Some day when you sell it, it might be to some old lady who won't want the system in it.  When you take it out, you just take the tape and foil off and the vehicle will look like it was never there.  I think Alpine left all the protective stuff under the custom dash they made in their show cars too to prevent resin from dripping on the cars when they were being made.  There's no point in removing what you can't see if it's not causing any harm.
Sound Deadener and FG Mold -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
you can also use clear packing tape, it is just a little more difficult to conform to tight curves and angles. i havent found too much that sticks to it. otherwise, you can use the 3M green tape. that will work great. it has a little bit of wax on it, but i still would mist it with some PAM or detail wax so it is easier to remove.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic