icon

Better Shock Sensor for Truck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
now you may have more false alarms with that kind of sensor....every time someone walks by.....the kids may start messing with the truck because of that sensor...
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
WillTS 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Can it be set up just for the warning, never the full alarm?
Will
Will              Just my $00.02
97 Chevy K1500 5.7L w/ Clifford Matrix RS2
BTW I am not a professional(well at procrastination maybe)
Be Gentle, I'm new to this :-)
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
yes you can set the interior field for full alarm and the exterior field for warn away only.....you may want to double check the shock sensor itself...they are very reliable...you may have a bum unit as i've been using Clifford for quite awhile and usually turn the sensors DOWN... if yours is not resonding at all it may be defective....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
A proximity sensor won't solve your problem. Those type of sensors are designed to protect interior spaces like convertibles and pickup truck beds. They aren't designed to mounted in areas with moisture and won't work through metal. You would be far better off getting one or more shock sensors and locating them where they are protected from the elements in the bed. Turn their sensitivity way down to prevent false alarms. They must be isolated from themselves and other sensors with diodes. Unless you have the sensors turned up high it will still be possible for someone to scratch the truck. However, if you have the sensors set up this way, your alarm will go off all the time with every little thing setting it off. Alarms are only a deterent and are designed to protect from non-enviromental actions. If you are expecting any alarm or sensor to distinguish between a gentle breeze and someone touching your truck you will be disappointed. The best method is for multiple sensors that only have to effectively cover a small area. Keep in mind the effect of rain and wind in locating them to reduce the likelyhood of false alarms. Constant false alarms are like the boy who cried Wolf. No one will think its really a break in if the alarm always goes off. There are also bylaws in many locales that refer to noise laws concerning alarms falsing. If the problem is just a few kids ask them to stay away from the truck or park it somewhere safer. Good luck.
sparky
kgerry 
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
not true spark... i have a Clifford 3.5 in my vehicle and i demo it by rocking the vehicle back and forth to simulate wind gusts and the alarm never triggers, but i tap fairly lightly on the body simulating impact and it goes off right away..... the Clifford sensors do indeed differeniate between motion and impact......
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
WillTS 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I went and sat in my truck, the shock sensor is located on the steering column. If I turn it all the to the sensitive side and I tap firmly next to it, it will light the led. But I have to tap it pretty firmly for it to do that. Maybe it is just the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. It would seem that a firm tap on any part of the cab should activate at least a warning. But no light. Needless to say, it takes a lot to set my alarm off.
Will
WillTS 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
BTW, what is the warranty on stuff like that. I had it installed at best buy, would they replace it free of charge. Or is the fact that it works if you tap really hard mean that it is operational. Thanks
Will
kgerry 
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
best people to talk to would be Best Buy..... let them have a chance to satisfy you.....
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic