icon

Head Unit just shut off?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

I have a CDX-F7700. I bought it brand new and just installed it last night. Well evrything was ooked up fine and worked fine. After about 15 mins of running it just shut off. Everything is dead EXCEPT for the CD eject. I can put a CD in and eject it. I soldered the head unit harness to the Metra harness and everything looks fine there.

Any ideas on what this problem could be? I bought the CD player on the net and dont want to go throught the process of shipping it back and forth if I dont have to.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

The unit is a Sony and its in a 96 Eclipse with the infinity syatem.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Does the head unit turn on?  Can you see the display working? Did you bypass the Infinity amps?
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
its your accesory wire. sony decks will eject with just the onstant wire conected. Check the red wire on the deck and make sure it is hooked up, if it is than check the accesory wire in the fuse box and mke sure the fuse isnt blown. It could be labeled as accessory or as radio or as ciggarette.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
But if the fuse was blown there wouldnt be any power to the deck at all would there? And what would cause this after just running it for 15 mins? I soldered the wires and double heat shrink tubed them.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
if the fuse was blown you would still have some power because you have a the acc. power and the constant power. the constant power is what keeps the memory and allows the cd player to eject the cd after you have shut off the cd player and car... check all of your wiring and fuses on the acc. wire out of your deck
Quad L Handyman services
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Ill check that out. Thanks for the help guys. Ill post back what I figure out.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well I replaced the radio fuse that was blown in the car. What would cause this? Im assuming I did some bad wiring? I will get in there tonight and take it out and see whats going on in there.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
the radio is working though. Thanks again.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is the higher power of the new HU (rated at 50 watts per channel X 4 I believe) means the head pulls too much current for your factory wiring.  You may want to run a new 10 gage power wire for the head to the battery (with a 30 or so amp fuse.)
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic