icon

Fiberglassing Layers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Type S 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
hi everybody, here is my question;  i just started a project sound system in a wrx.  my problem is i started glassing 3 layers and it isnt getting that strong.  do i have to put like 15 layers of resin and mat or just keep on putting resin.  i started out by putting 3 layers of mat and resin.  i will be waiting for your tips and later some pics for you guys, just remember  TYPE S wrx.
If something is not working as planed, Check your ground Fiberglassing Layers? -- posted image.
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
After about 5 layers it will start to get really hard. If its not what you are looking for then I would suggest soaking some rope and line it with that for more strength. You are going to want about 6-8 layers for a good hard hitting sub. Good luck.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Just keep going it will get very hard soon.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
tckustoms 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
 If your building a box that has no flat sides and you have mad the speaker rings how do you stablize the speaker rings to lay the fleese or mat ! help
tckustoms
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
You use dowels and hot glue.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
why should we remember its TYPE S
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
are you using the mat or the cloth?  the cloth is much thinner than the mat, so youll need more of it.  id suggest a good 6 layers of mat for a 12.  some put on more like 10, ive even seen 15 layers, but thats overkill unless you have a couple 15s.  btw, never use resin alone. 
Type S 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

pureRF wrote:
why should we remember its TYPE S

because i will be comming back with pics of the WRX project, my first official fibre glass work.  hope you guys like it.

TYPE S project.

see ya.

If something is not working as planed, Check your ground Fiberglassing Layers? -- posted image.
Type S 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

sam1 wrote:
are you using the mat or the cloth?  the cloth is much thinner than the mat, so youll need more of it.  id suggest a good 6 layers of mat for a 12.  some put on more like 10, ive even seen 15 layers, but thats overkill unless you have a couple 15s.  btw, never use resin alone. 

Thanks for the tips

TYPE S

stormshadow 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
You may want to try using a epoxy, reiforced with ground silica, on the corners. Build a cardboard radius template and mix the silica and epoxy to the consistancy of joint compound. Trowel the mix into the corners and use your template to smooth and form the mix.
The forementioned mix has the strength of steel, and roughly the same sanding charictaristics, so be careful with it.Fiberglassing Layers? -- posted image.
Best of luck.
Stormshadow

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic