icon

two 10s or a 15?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
what are the advantages or disadvantages of having say two 10s or a single larger 15? sound quality? or bass response?
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
tens will be tighter cleaner bass. the 15 will hit the lower notes better but has more "flabby" slower response and not do as well on the "higher" notes. just my opinion. get a pair of tens or 12's if you wont have a mid-bass sub to go with the 15
Quad L Handyman services
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
space- a 15 will require a lot, you'll have more wiring options (1,2,4 ohms) with 2 subs, deeper bass with 15"
just a few things to think about
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
cool, i think ill keep my 10s, was just trying to find a way to make a little more trunk space with a single sub, but in the end i dont think its going to be worth it, ill just have to relocate my amp since i put it in a bad place for space saving! thanks guys
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
...and another recent thread that addresses these differences can be seen here.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ketel22 wrote:
tens will be tighter cleaner bass. the 15 will hit the lower notes better but has more "flabby" slower response and not do as well on the "higher" notes. just my opinion. get a pair of tens or 12's if you wont have a mid-bass sub to go with the 15

Actually that's another one of those audio myths.  "Woofer speed" isn't effected by mass, but inductance.  Read this link to see why this is true: http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/woofer_speed.htm

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you Steven! Good info! I am glad to see there is somebody out there who can explain things WAY better than I can!
Also, the 10's can go EVERY BIT as deep as the 15, and depending on the configuration of the enclosure, possibly deeper. I had an Eclipse Ti 10 inch driver that played LOWER (noticeably) on it's optimum box than the Ti 12 I presently have. I had a friend of mine at Harman, (in Northridge) Klippel both of the drivers, and we designed optimum enclosures for both of them, and the 12 may have more overall OUTPUT, but the 10 had better EXTENSION. It all depends on how the driver is built.
I would also like to address this "break-in" question that keeps coming up... It is not an engine, there are no friction parts that must be rubbed gently together until they mesh correctly... PLAY IT LIKE YER GONNA PLAY IT, every day of it's life... You ain't gonna hurt it, just 'cause it's "new"! I have never broken in a SINGLE driver my entire life, and no ill has ever befallen me. If there IS any break in, it will only loosen the suspension a little, and maybe give you a little different frequency response, but if this is the case, and you do not want that change, BREAK IT IN, (with your sine wave generator set for the specified Fs of the driver) OUTSIDE OF ANY ENCLOSURE, WITH LOW POWER, (say 10-15 watts, but in no case beyond the linear capabilities of the driver, and you'll hear it when you get to that point) for 24 hours, then test it, and build your enclosure based on THOSE numbers.
OK, enough ranting... off to bed with haemphyst... two 10s or a 15? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Ah haemphyst, I believe this is the first time I have disagreed with you.  I understand the controversy about break-in, but I have to say that for high-end loudspeakers a break-in period is imperative.  It's not because of friction, but because of elasticity in the suspension components (the spider and the surround.)  These parts flex, as you know, and right off the assembly line they are "stiffer" than optimum.  Allowing them to be "warmed up" via a break-in period ensures better excursion and more compliance with better efficiency.  I have tested loudspeakers and seen as much as a 3db improvement after break-in, and some larger midrange driverss seem 'warmer" to me (especially soft domes.)

Now, in car audio, most loudspeakers are made with different materials than are high-end home or professional drivers.  Car woofers are designed to handle much higher power (less efficiency) and to withstand the temperature extremes from being outside.  They seem to need a break in period less than do most home systems.

But if your point is that they won't "break" or fall apart without a break-in, then yes, you are correct.  I've never seen that happen unless something else was wrong.  But will they perfrom to their best or sound as good as they can right out of the box?  Not usually.  Break them in before you test the limits or judge the performance too harshly.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

I can't take credit for that paper.  My boss wrote it.  He's a brilliant engineer, and proves it in those white papers (and of course the product he produces).  You should check out the other papers in that section.  I'm sure you will enjoy them.  He get's into stuff like an adjustable Q on a dual voice coil driver, testing different types of RCA's to see which has the best noise rejection, and a description of our XBL^2 motor topology as compared to standard motors.  Here's a quick link: http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tech_central.htm

And as for the break-in part, I agree with DYohn.  This is becuase we supply a warning with our Brahma's that say to properly break in the driver.  But I personally haven't looked into the subject, so my point of view is strictly based on my boss's recomendation.  I will get back to you on that with more info when I get a chance to ask him about it.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
...but this is why I mentioned the break-in OUTSIDE of an enclosure, before you test it and build the enclosure for it. If you build an enclosure for a driver, pull the driver from the carton, and install it, you are likely going to be disappointed in the response AFTER the suspension loosens up. I also said I never break in a driver, but this is a bit of a mis-statement. I do not break-in a driver after the installation, but before, using the above mentioned method. If you build the enclosure, pull the driver from the package and install it, whether you break it in gently or WFO, it does not matter... the driver/box alignment will be wrong after the break-in period. Basically, all I am saying is "Because the box can't change, but the driver will, if you got a box/driver combo installed, forget the break-in, cause it ain't gonna matter, unless you build another box."
Steven, (have I met you at CES?) I am not certain, but I was thinking that that warning is for break-in outside of an enclosure, not in the box after the install. Also, (and PLEASE do not think I am trying to steal your thunder, I am NOT!) I have been thinking about adjustable Q on drivers for years... actually more along the lines of "passive post-amplification equalization". By driving a single VC in a DVC driver with an amp, and measuring its' response in an enclosure, you can build a semi-adjustable passive tuning circuit hung off the other voice coil, to adjust the damping of the driver selectively, thus, effectively equalizing the response of the driver IN THAT enclosure.   ...it was a pipe dream, and I never sat down to do it... (sounds like MANY of my projects...) Honestly, I like the idea of a simple resistor... much easier to adjust, and no funky calculations, either... but, by selectively EQing the resistance at X frequency, you could adjust the OUTPUT of the driver at just X frequency, where a resistor adjusts the output at all frequencies being fed to the driver, by applying broad-band damping, and attenuation (Qts adjustment).
As an example of my idea, if you have a box/driver alignment with a 6dB hump at 80Hz (blech! sounds like many car stereos today, doesn't it?), by using an RLC network, you can say "this is a lower resistance at 80Hz, therefore the output from the driver at 80Hz will be down by Y dB", but attenuated Y/2 at 40 or 160Hz. Also, an RLC network will give a nice notching ability, and you can build the notch Q right into the network... it is simply a bandpass passive crossover, placed on the second terminals of a DVC woofer. Flexibility come with the various alignments available... 6, 12, 18, 24 dB slopes with Butterworth, Zobel, etc. functions available. A passive circuit will apply selective resistance to the secondary VC, and thusly, apply selective passive damping i.e. equalization.
At least it all works on paper! LOL... And I don't want to see Adire using this idea witout (at a minimum) proper credit! two 10s or a 15? -- posted image.
Thanks for reading this, for those of you that bothered with the whole thing. I know I do go on, but I hope I get my point across effectively.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic