icon

q for forbidden and all, 1st gen 4runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

I bought 5.25 MB quarts components for my 1986 4runner. I think forbidden suggested me that I can install the woofers in the lower front part of the door where there is a map pocket. (i apologize if I have forgotten and it was not forbidden)

Anyways, I removed the door trim and found that the place does not have room for a woofer. Probably because this is a power window. I cansee the railing for the glass (and the glass when the window glass is down) almost like 3 inches above the bottom of the door.

Can you suggest some other place? Is there a way to install the 5.25 midrange woofers on the dash where there is room for 4 inch speakers? I might have to build something. 

Also, even the Kenwood CDA V7022  I bought from tweeter (display item) gave me problems. And based on Fornbidden's suggestion, I got an Eclipse CD3424!!! Hope I made a right choice!!

Thanks1

toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

The midrange woofers are MB quart QM 130. I think the MB quart website has its dimensions somewhere but I am not able to find it now.

One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

I was able to make a MDF spacer and cover it in material, and mount that at the bottom of my Door in my old 4 runner, the extra 1/2+ inch was all that I needed to clear the magnet from the glass.

~Jay

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it was me, I was the one who sent you on this path to audio glory. Excellent choice on the cd player, if you have not put it in yet, let me know. The proper way to mount it in this vehicle is using the factory Toyota radio mounting brackets. DO NOT CUT THE DASH BEZEL!!!! Now for the door speakers you can also space the window track back, probably at least an inch I would think. Undo the lower window track bolt and find your self a longer bolt with the same threads. Put the new bolt in through the sheet metal and then place some kind of spacer over the bolt. This spacer can be 2 or 3 nuts or hollow metal tube, whatever you have. Next put the window track back into place and tighten up. The nuts should be between the window track and the inside door skin sheetmetal. Test the operation of the window so it does not torque the power window motor too hard and check for mounting depth again. Jay covered my next suggestion which is a good one. Mounting the speaker to a nice solid piece of mdf is much better than a twsisty piece of 1/4" hardboard that your door panel is made from.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't installed anything yet, still in the stage of planning and initial prep. I think I dont have the factory brackets in my truck. the previous owner perhaps removed it and ther is just a radio install kit u get in walmart and there is a big square empty space when we take that out.
How does the factory bracket look? I shd probably go to a used parts/junk yard to see and buy one.
Also I am guessing mdf is medium density fibre board. right? A general question. How do I cut a hole in fibre board? saber saw? I think ll have to buy/rent one.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
A Rebel Roto-zip or Black and Decker spiral saw work great if you have a steady hand, and you can get one for under $50 for a starter kit, if you don't know anyone you can borrrow one from.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Head to the auto wreckers, you want the factory brackets that screw to the sides of the factory radios from any 85-88 Toyota pickup or 4 runner. You will also need a Toyota pocket like this model TN2150 from scosche. www.scosche.com. With these brackets and the pocket, it fills the hole perfectly and also use 4 bolts to mount the cd player to the brackets and another 4 bolts to mount it to the dash, making it hella hard to steal. Use 4 different bolts as well, makes it that much tougher.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Go to a junk yard. The radio bracket was the same for the 4 runner from 84 to about 95 or 96. But Scoshe makes a replacement bracket that may help you. I'd got to a junk and try to find one. I think some of the older toyotas are interchangele as well. The 83 to 86 anc 87 -91 camry may fit as well.
As far as cutting a hole in fiber board...
The suggestion chevyman stated is a good one. Since you're gonna need to get a power drill anyway you might want to invest in a hole saw kit. The one I suggested isn't that great but it'll get you started. Get some fiberboard from home depot and practice practice practice.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   q for forbidden and all, 1st gen 4runner -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic