icon

Swade or vinyl dash?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

My current dash is plastic and I was going to glue fleece to it with a hot glue fun or by spraying the dash with 3M adhesive spray.  Which way do you think would be best for gluing the fleece to the dash? 

Also, I thought that maybe I could maybe take the plastic pieces that makeup my whole dash to an upholstry shop to have them cover it with vinyl or swade fabric.  Has anyone done a job with vinyl or swade for the dash.  How would it look and what would it cost to have an upholstry person cover the whole dash?  If I decided to do it myself, should I just spray the dash with 3M adhesive spray and then apply the vinyl or swade?  If I go with vinyl is there a layer under the vinyl of something else or do you put the vinyl right on the plastic with the spray?

Thanks for any info.

Swade or vinyl dash? -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know about vinyl, but ive seen a dash done in all suede and it looked pimp style.  actually, it was more like velvet.  very pretty tho.  but yea, to attach it i would just use the 3M spray like you mentioned.  havent really worked with vinyl all that much, but im sure the 3M adhesive would work on that as well.  i know that youll need a hairdryer or heat gun to mold the vinyl to curves tho.  you could probably get the material for cheap(under 20bucks), but i dont know what someone would charge to install it for you, since im more the diy type.  oh, and for the fleece, resin will make the spray glue lose its adhesiveness and the fleece wont stick anymore, so i would use the hot glue gun.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.  Where do you llive?  Do you know where I can buy the swade or velvet fabric or about how much it costs?  I live in Southern California.
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
i live in coeur d alene, id.  all the way up by canada.  um, ive found a couple different fabrics at Joanns.  im sure theres probably one down there, if not there shuold be lots of fabric supply stores.  ive even found a few at walmart of all places.  never even thought of looking there until i strolled right past some awesome looking suede type material.  i paid 5bucks at walmart for a sq yard of fleece, so i couldnt imagine paying more than 10bucks a yard for some cool looking stuff.  so youd probably need 2 yards max for a dash with a bunch left over, so youd be in it for $20.  not too bad.  then you could even accent your interior to match=).
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
if you are gonna glass it, the rattle can adhesive like super 77 or 90 will peel when glassing. almost all glues will.
stitchcraft has done some visors for us before and did a good job. doing a dash is usually about 600-700 dollars to get done in suede. there is some stitching involved usually. the same with vinyl.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to glass my dash and doors and paint them.  Maybe I'll have part of the doors done in suede too to match the headliner.  The material I wanted is called Ultrasuede and upholstery stores can order it.  They say it's about $80 per yard by about 58" wide.  I'm going to go home after work and measure the width of my headliner and see if 58" will be wide enough.  If possible, I wanted to avoid having any sewing done on it so it will look seemless.  I still have to decide what to do for my carpet and covering the rest of the interior.  I took off all the nasty looking dark blue plastic panels that covered the sides of my back seat.  Yuck!  Maybe I'll apply Dynamat Extreme and then pay some upholstery person to cover all the back with the dark black suede too.  It will be tricky to cut the material in the exact shape that will be needed to cover all those curvy surfaces.  Decisions, decisions!

rcstdad 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I have a connection to get UltraSuede or other quality suedes.  Shoot me an email.

MattB

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
if i remember correctly, ultra suede is a bit thicker and doesnt stretch as well as some of the other suedes out there.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hey audio mech, do you know the names of the other suedes that people use for headliners?  I'm a newbie here and I just want something that will look good and last a long time.  I'm thinking that I'll use either dark black or bright red to match my truck exterior.  Thanks.  Also, where can you buy these?  I found for Ultrasuede I'd probably have to order it from an upholstery store.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic