95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stormshadow 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am looking to install a new system. I have a 95 Geo Metro LXI. I am looking for sound quality and was hoping to get some feedback on the following components.
(1)Pioneer DEH-P560MP
(2) Front speakers : Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X138
(3) Rear speakers: Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X168
(4) in 6 to 12 months I am planning on upgrading with a JL 300/4 amp
I don't have a lot of cash right now and my POS factory unit is shot. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or changes that would improve my system, short of pouring more cash into it.95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability -- posted image.
Thanks,
Stormshadow
stormshadow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
OOOPS.... Actually it's a 95 Geo Prism LXI, it's been a long day.95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability -- posted image. 95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability -- posted image.
Thanks,
Stormshadow
ivant2 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
Start with a good head unit work your way to some good componets or 2 way speakers then climb to a amp with a sub. Then branch out from there
A pebble rolling down a hill turns into a ball then a huge snowball that will run you over. Same goes with car audio start with good foundation build up to something good.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
I like the choice of deck, however I would like to know why you picked that one instead of one of the lower line pioneers. Even if you go with the 460mp you could save some cash and buy a set of components for the front and keep the 2 ways for the back. I would like to throw out the idea of mabye buying some reference infinty speakers instead of the excelon. I know the excelon are good speakers but I have sold both and can honestly say the infinities sound better and should be in the same price range. Upgrading to an amp latter is a good plan to. Are you using it just for the speakers or for subs as well?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stormshadow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 4:56 AM / IP Logged  
First, thanks for the replys.95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability -- posted image.
Hi Ravendarat.
I chose the 460mp because I like the flexablility it affords. I drove a " bar bus " to and from hockey games last winter and it had a 760mp. I loved the features and sound it provided but I don't want to spend the extra cash for the organic display.
I like infinity, I will go and take a 2nd look. Since it may be a little while before I can get a good amp, then subs, I wanted a little better low end response in the speakers I buy now. The excelon's are rated at 28 Hz to 40 KHz response. I am going to take a look at the infinity series today.
Thanks,
Stormshadow
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Listen to different spekaers and buy the ones you like the sound of. If you are happy with the Pioneer that is a great choice, in my opinion (not knocking FS or Ravendarat) I would choose a superior Eclipse cd player. May not be pretty but it will school most others in the same price range.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I will never say that pioneer sounds better than eclipse. I know better than that. However I do believe that some people are happier with the extra options they get on the pioneer and would not benifit from the eclipse deck. I personally love pioneer decks but am looking at eclipse decks right know because I am redoing my car to SQ and want the cleaner source. But for 90% of the population the loss of SQ is ok because they get all the cool toys which alot of people like. Also it kinda comes down to if you never had it you wont miss it. What I mean by that is if you put the pioneer deck in your car its a good chance you will love the sound and since you never had the eclipse deck in the car you wont know what your missing and hence wont care. Thats why everyone who is spending 400 bucks on a deck doesnt go out and buy an eclipse or Nak. Different strokes for different folks I guess. And BTW Im pretty hard to offend and bashing FS really wont do much to stir me up unless I feel its uneducated bullsh*t or a blanket statement that make me look bad.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

stormshadow wrote:
I wanted a little better low end response in the speakers I buy now. The excelon's are rated at 28 Hz to 40 KHz response

Your front components have to sound good to you in frequencies starting at about 50-55 Hz and up.  Some manufacturers will list freq's down to 35 Hz or so but that doesn't mean much, just that those lower freqs fall under the manufacturer's published specs (supposedly).  I've noticed a lot of higher end components don't even play that, and publish data at 55 Hz and above.  It's how they sound to your ears that is important.  You'll get about the same (quantity) midbass from most speakers of a given size.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stormshadow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I chose the 560MP over the 460MP due in part to the 3 RCA preout's on the 560MP vs the 2 on the 460. I also liked the built in crossover network.
I went to take a look at the speakers today, but there was too much background noise in the shop, and they didn't have my head unit hooked up. I was wondering if the low frequency response, 28Hz seems pretty low for a 5.25" speaker, is accurate or if there just trying to drum up the numbers? Will I really get a better low end response out of a 5.25 with a low end of 28Hz vs 40Hz, or doesn't it really matter?
I looked at the Ecipse head units and, I must say, they are pretty impressive. The only problem with the Eclipse is that the CD opening is exposed. I park my car where there is constant dust and construction, no matter what you do it ends up everywhere in the car.95 Geo Metro new system w/ upgrade capability -- posted image. The fact that the Pioneer covers the CD slot will, I believe, afford some measure of protection against the dust.
Thanks again for the great info.
Stormshadow
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
The best way to tell about those lows is to bring in your own CD with passages you know to have freqs in that range.  And if you can get a good sales help to hook up comparison speakers with the same system, you can tell.  Personally, I don't see how a 5" speaker can show 28Hz on the same graph as its 70 hz.  That graph line has to be swooping down in a mean dive.  Meaning, OK it makes it, but is it audible?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic