icon

amp blows fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saleengt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
my biggest problem was reinstall, there were some metal clips from below that were making the install rather complicated, it didnt want to go over the clips, yea its the s10, i got it all done, but the metal bracket/ clip pieces scraped up the plastic a little bit, but is the install the same in a new silverado and escalade? are they both fighting with the dash to get it around the steering column and shifter?
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
I started thinking about what why fuses pop, and chi's statement about nothing would happen. Well, what happens when you short or "ground" out your amp? Your power wire gets a ground right? Well that pops the fuses. Now with your REM in and a ground connected to your power, wouldnt it make sense that your fuses blow? Just a reflection here, if anyone knows please let me know if im wrong.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't had the pleasue of working on a silverado any newer than a '99 or any escalades, but up through those years, yeah, it's all wrestling plastic. I was also going to add that it helps a lot to do it in really hot weather so the plastic is more pliable. I live in the north, so we don't get much weather like that.  It's also not very hard to drop down the steering column, but that ends up being more of a hassle after you've gotten the hang of wrestling it out. You almost have to drop it if you don't have tilt wheel, unless it's above like 90 deg. outside.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
saleengt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
yea i was really fighting the 95 blazer today I didnt have time to check the amp, also what would be the trick to isolate the grounding out speaker? would it not pop if i hook it up to the battery? basically im asking whats the trick to figure out which speaker is doing that? and yea how do you installers do it? hard to wrestle plastic when the customer is right there
saleengt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
also if its not that the ground n power are reversed.. do you guys have any other suggestions?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
DISCONNECT THE SPEAKER WIRES FROm the amp and then remote it on and see if the fuse blows again...if it does you've got blown outputs in the amp.... if it doesnt take a DMM and meter all your speaker wires for continuity to ground... i personally like to use my old analogue meter for this... if you do get a continuity reading on any speaker wire, then that is the wire that is shorted to ground....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
On the new silverado's and the escalade the dash just pulls right off, no screws or anything, it just pulls off. And on the newer vehicles the hazard switch is no longer a problem.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
saleengt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
how do you "meter all your speaker wires for continuity to ground" what setting do i put the meter on and whats the process?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

set it on diode test or x1 R ohm scale..... clamp one lead to a good solid ground in the vehicle and use the other lead to probe all your speaker wires.... you should not get a reading at all... if you get a resistence reading on any speaker wire then that wire is shorted to ground, since are are metering for continuity between the ground lead and the speaker lead.....

simple,  yes?  no?  da?  nyet?  ja? nein?

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

Oui, Non? Tu comprende?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic