icon

code alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
circus boy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
we just started carryin code i want yo thoughts on them, good and bad, and any common problems with them
thanks in advance
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
well they just recalled all of ours...???????????
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
they are so bad the ones i still have in stcok i refuse to sell to anyone..... i save them as golf tournament giveaways and dont offer install on them !!!!!!!!!
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Are they that bad? I always thought an alarm is as bad as it's installer. Aren't code alarms the factory alarms for Daimler Chrysler? If they are so bad, why are they standard equipemt on most Mercedes Benz models?
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   code alarms -- posted image.
kgerry 
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

i drive an MB E55 AMG and have replaced the radio 5 or 6 times already under warranty, so lets not put MB on that high a pedestal

and no... i'm not just Mercedes bashing... ( i'm also section past president of the MB Car Club of America for this area ) .... i'm just telling it like it is... i used to need 5 or 6 of a given model of Code in stock just to make sure i had one that would work to actually finish an install... the failure rate on the Elite and F10 series is over 50%

and using your  " an alarm is as bad as it's installer " analogy... then a really good installer should make a Legacy amp sound sweet, RIGHT???     come on...... use your head......

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:

and using your  " an alarm is as bad as it's installer " analogy... then a really good installer should make a Legacy amp sound sweet, RIGHT???     come on...... use your head......

Actually, I got that analogy from reading a few posts in this forum.  And for the record, i have gotten a legacy amp to sound really sweet.....to the guy that paid me to install it. code alarms -- posted image.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   code alarms -- posted image.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Copy and paste of my reply on this a while ago:
"I install code all the time. They are by far my favorite out there. I will admit though since audiovox took them over they have come down a peg. It looks like their new products were rushed and there are a lot of iffy products. No serious problems just little things that will drive an installer crazy trying to figure out. Not to mention a lot of the new code is rebadged audiovox."
That was my response around the time their new line was just introduced. Since then things have ironed out as expected and I'm a big fan again. The true "Code Alarm" stuff is just great in my opinion. The audiovox isn't bad just a change of pace takes getting used to like anything else. What all did you guys pick up? I'll comment on any specific units if you have any questions.
It generally works out people seem to like what their used to. I install code all the time so to me they seem efficient and well thought out. Once every few months when that customer brings in his DEI unit and I put it in I hate it.. Same goes both ways if you install DEI or brand x every day and someone brings in a code piece you'd probably not like it either.
Our return rate on these (ie: flat out bad or defective units, not installer errors and shortcuts) seem very low we don't see many come back. Unfortunately I don't have any percentages.
They also make the units for ford that come stamped with the ford logo right on them. I can't see ford signing any contract with a 50% return rate, but who knows.
Anyway good luck,
Mike
kgerry 
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
i have to admit the Code product we sold pre-dated the new Code/Audiovox lineup, so hopefully they ironed out all the problems with the line... i originally took on the line with high hopes, but ended up replacing most of those systems for customers with Avital units......
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
foltzy 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
we just started to carry them to. i installed one the other day, and it didnt seem to go to bad..although it was just keyless entry and remote start
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
we carry both d.e.i and code alarm...they just recalled all of our code...7500,4200...etc...and are replacing them w/ new models similar to the ca-420 and ca-530...i think and as far as customers come-backs...d.e.i rocks code...soooo...i guess code is a little installer friendly but w/ that quality goes right out...just my opinion though...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic