icon

Glassing headliner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
well i got tierd of my current headliner, so now i want to glass it, maybe even make some pods for a few gauges and a couple of screens. so now my question is, do i have to get rid of the spray on glue resedue(sp) or can i just apply FG on top and not worry about the glass not sticking? thanks in advance.
rcstdad 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

If you had to flex your headliner very much to get it out, I might consider against that.  If it is glassed, it might not be to easy to get back in.  But, to get rid of that residue, use a medium-firm nylon bristle brush (bigger the better), and that stuff will come right off.

MattB

ODLeon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
when i first took it out, it didnt  flex  much cuz it has styrofoam supports glued to it so you cant fold it . i had to take out my back seats and recline the fronts to get it out the hatch. thats why im thinking of glassing because its not that difficult to get out.
rcstdad 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

glass will take to the headliner ok.  I'd be weary of the edges.  Do they show in your car, or are they covered?  If they show, it could be kinda a PITA to get the edges nice looking after sanding, since they are so thin.

MattB

ODLeon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
most of the edges are hidden under the weathestrips. the only visible ones are on the windshield and the hatch. how many layers should i do??it is a pt cruiser with a sunroof and the flat section behind the sunroof feels really flimsy, so i dont want to add too much to the point where it sags. i was thinking maybe two layers of cloth??
rcstdad 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
2 would be good, and keep the weight down.  With 3 I would feel a little better about not cracking it when you start sanding it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic