icon

question on amp kits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Redstorm3 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have a kenwood  800 watts maximum peak power  and was wondering if it is better to buy the rockford fosgate 8gauge 500w amp kit or to go out and buy each individually?  or if there is something better out there?
Redstorm3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
I might as well add what type of subs i have so you guys can give me the best set up options...i have 2 12" Kenwood KFC-W3009<>wS('185','5') Single-Voice-Coil Subwoofers in a sealed box powered by the kenwood 800 w peak bridgeable 2 channel w/3 way power distribution (800 peak/460rms x 1 @ 4ohms, 460peak/230rms x 2 @ 2ohms or 300peak 150rms x 2@ 4 ohms)  how should I hook this up? 
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

Any 8 ga. amp kit will work.  The load on the amp using these two 4 ohm SVC woofers will be 4 ohm stereo, or 8 ohm bridged.  You can get about 150 watts to each sub.

question on amp kits -- posted image.

The subs should play okay with that.  They are rated at 200 watts RMS.  If you already have this equipment, then go with it like this.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Redstorm3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
If i hook up my subs w/out bridging them, would that be better?  or will i get more if i bridge?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
It will be the same.  4 ohm stereo = 8 ohm bridged.  When the subs are bridged, each channel reads a 4 ohm resistance load.  So hook it up however it best suits your installation.  You said both speakers shared a box, so use the bridged method.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Redstorm3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot, appreciate the help
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Redstorm3,
The amp kit that you have is sufficient to do the job, but do check the minimum gauge requirement of your amp to be safe.   
“If i hook up my subs w/out bridging them, would that be better? Or will I get more if I bridge?”
Yes, you are better off not to bridge the connection to your sub. The amp will be much most sable not bridging.   Bridging the sub that you got will bring the impedance down to 2 ohm. Not a good idea since most amp is meant to be bridge at 4 ohm. If you want to get the most out of your amp. You can do this. Instead of running both of the sub, run a single sub at 4 ohm in bridge mode then you will fully maximize the power of your amp.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.question on amp kits -- posted image.
Redstorm3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
so, if I hook it up like this:  it would be the best bet?question on amp kits -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Listen to Stevdart... 4+4=8, bridged to 8 ohms, your amp will see 4 ohms per channel... or run it stereo, with one woofer on each channel... It won't matter... same power, either way.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Pola_Trucos 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
I have a friend with 2 dvc 1ohm woofers. He want to wire them in a 2 ohm load stereo but he has a mono amp. Is that posible????
Dont use ten words when 5 will do fine.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic