icon

97 mercury mountainer system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
not deaf yet 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

97 mercury mountainer, head unit, kenwood kdcmp925, audiobahn 5.25 abc525t, front stage. powered by fosgate punch 200

fosgate punch 40 powering some b$ll sh#t tweeters that are actually melting after 2 days for my rear

subs audiobahn abp123t powerrd by a  Power Acoustik Gothic OV2-1600, 2 farad total stiff caps

now here are all my fricking problems, can't get the head unit to adjust to sound good enough for my ears there are too many features, how the hell do you take the faceplate off? it came with a case and i know it comes off?, okay as for the the audiobahn subs are suppose to handle like 900 watts rms, and the surfboard sized power acoustic is suppose to put out 740 w,rms, 4 ohm mono, the sub box is a 4ohm mono load also, all i can say is iam dissapointed, I kind of expected it to be somewhat loud, it bumps but not what i expected. when i turn up my radio to like 26 and i think it goes to 35, i start to smell like my components frying, i used the crossovers that came w the component set+ the x card set to high pass on the fosgate+ the head unit has front rear and sub crossovers, maybe out of phase wired? audiobahn doesn't tell ya what the polarity of the wires are in the comp. set the tweets are pre wired solid blue and blue with black stripe, i assumed blue w black was negative. any help would be appreciated

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
just slow down and start over piece by piece.  Don't keep frying those speakers.  Check the critical things:  check polarity of each speaker with a D battery (or any like it).  Make sure your wiring load is correct.  And don't expect more from the system than it is capable of producing.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
neo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

The easiest way to avoid these problems is to keep all your equipment the same brand and make sure all the ohms/wattage ect. match up  I keep my system all the exact same brand and check and double check ohms and wattage

Neo,Solving All The Worlds Problems

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
neo, I discovered many years ago that manufacturers usually don't excell in everything they make.  (Take Sony, f'rinstance...please...)  Some are known for great speakers, some are the best makers of amplifiers, others make the greatest crossover electronics.  It has been known in the audio world for much longer than I have been alive that the true audiophiles pick and choose from different manufacturers to set up their systems.  Ask someone with a Carver amp and a Nakamichi deck whether he has Carver or Nakamichi speakers.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
neo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

i understand your point, but i'm giving this info as though im talking to a complete newbie.  I've had some systems mixed and matched with all sorts of equipment and brands,but for the folks less educated I think they should stick to one brand, but thats just my 2 cents

Neo,Solving All The Worlds Problems

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Keep your two cents my friend, you have much to learn, no offfence intended either. This is a great site to learn from as there are quite a few industry professionals that post here.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
neo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden...think back to when you were installing your first system.  Did you know what you were doing no.  None of us did so therefore I'm giving them the easiest idea possible.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
For the folks less educated the best things that they can do....are you ready for this.... is ask for help. And to be fair neo, you are correct, when I was younger, damn that was a long time ago..... farts dust now..... I too made many mistakes. But the biggest mistake I made was not seeking the proper advice and these days it is too easy for someone to post up the improper advice as well. I'm not trying to insult you either, just asking you to learn from others, maybe even from me.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
For the folks less educated the best things that they can do....are you ready for this.... is ask for help. And to be fair neo, you are correct, when I was younger, damn that was a long time ago..... farts dust now..... I too made many mistakes. But the biggest mistake I made was not seeking the proper advice and these days it is too easy for someone to post up the improper advice as well. I'm not trying to insult you either, just asking you to learn from others, maybe even from me.
Hey Neo,
If there's anyone you will want to learn from in this forum, it's Rob. There's a couple of people who post in this forum that are living breathing car audio and security encyclopedias (Forbidden (Rob), DYohn, Velocity Motorsports (Jeff), BBerman, ESmith69, Ketel, 12Volt....I could go on). All of the names I mentioned (I apologize to anyone I didn't mention-YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!) have taught me alot when it comes to this stuff. And yes we all were new to this at time or another. My suggestion to people who are either new to this site or new to this hobby/business of car audio and want to do it themselves, read some of the previous posts and check out some of the links people have provided. We aren't here to insult or disresepect each other. We're here to help and discuss (which means adding our 2 cents like I'm doing here) and make installing and customizing fun.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   97 mercury mountainer system -- posted image.
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
neo, your attitude is all wrong. slow down and take a breath. this is not a site for badassess to show off. you dont have to solve the world's problems. it's not your job.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic