icon

craftsman spiral saw

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
has anyone used the craftsman spiral saw? is it any good? im thinking of buying one for making sub rings for fiberglassing, just want to make sure its good enuff to cut through 3/4 mdf
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

It is good and their are alot of attachment for it, but I personally use a rotozip same thing pretty much just different name. If you plan on cutting 3/4 mdf just buy extra blades they didn't last very long when I cut with the roto or spiral saw. You probably want the cicle cutter, this is great for small projects but when you want to build enclosures it is just to slow for me for any cicle over 8". hope that helps.

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
hookedontronics 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

i have the craftsman 1 that you are talking about and it is pretty sucky to say the least.  it have a lot of trouble with the 3/4" mdf, i switched to a router with a circle base i made from plexiglass and it works a hell of a lot better.  invest in a router.

-jake 

If you can't be good, be good at it!
stormshadow 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Go Roto. The grinder/cutoff kit is the best deal. It's not a substitute for a shop tool, but man can it come in handy.craftsman spiral saw -- posted image.
Stormshadow
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have the craftsmen 3 in 1 all purpose cutter (I dont know if this is the specific one your talking about) but I do know that it can be used effectivly if when actually cutting the circle you leave about 1/16 of the bit below the MDF and rock the cutter slightly up and down creating a very suddle sawing action that reduces friction on any single point of the bit. This slices through the MDF like its butter but dont press too hard, if you do that your bits will break very often.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
King_Midas 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
don't even try a Dremel. what a peice.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
dremel is a very important shop tool, but it DOES NOT replace a good old fashioned router.  You must use a router with a circle jig to properly make sub rings, there is no replacement....well other than a CNC machine.... wait, i dont have 500k.craftsman spiral saw -- posted image.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
I feel u on that, I've given up on that craftsmen of mine, its kool for edging fiberglass and high speed sanding. I've been using a friends router and like defective says, there is no replacment for a good router. The craftsmen is just too unweildly and the bits last all of about 2 seconds, anyway, get a router and be done with it.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
craftsman spiral saw -- posted image.  I never messed with the rotozip or the craftsman, but i haven't heard anything good about them for this kind of work. I use a DeWalt circle cutter and it works great. There are drawbacks to everything though. In example, you need to go slow with any spiral saw when you cut MDF. If you buy a router, you can make a jig to cut you rings, and you can also use it to do other projects as well..... My vote: Go buy a decent router. Don't go too cheap, you'll get what you pay for 
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
{p}I second the router. Don't make life hard on yourself by trying to cut thick MDF with a rotary cutter. Get a plunge router and a circle jig. If you don't want to pony up for the Porter Cable models you can go Craftsman or even Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric). I recommend and use the {a class="fPost" href="http://www.jasperaudio.com/" target="_blank"}Jasper Audio{/A} circle jig, M200. I prefer it to the sliding circle jigs. You can get i from {a class="fPost" href="http://www.jasperaudio.com/" target="_blank"}Jasper{/A}, {a class="fPost" href="http://www.partsexpress.com/"}Parts Express {/A}or even {a class="fPost" href="http://www.amazon.com/"}Amazon{/A}. At Amazon do a search for "Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Jig". $32.99 with free shipping. Mine stays permanently attached to a cheap Chicago Electric plunge router I got on sale for $40.{/p}{p}Rotary cutters are great and I recommend having one but for the big jobs you'll want a router.{SCRIPT language=javascript}postamble();{/SCRIPT}{/p}
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic