icon

amplifer demand

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95neon 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 1995 dodge neon.  No a/c, no power windows, just a steering wheel and 4 tires pretty much.  Im not sure the exact alternator size, but i heard something like 83 amps.  I ordered a hifonics bx1000d and 2 pg ti dvc 10's.  The fuse on the amp is only 60 amps.  Will my stock alternator be able to handle this?  Thanks.
I drive a neon...got a problem with that??
dj hellfire 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah!  As long as you put in a 60 amp in-line fuse near the battery.  Your inline fuse amperage should be equal to the total amp ratings of the fuses on your amp/s.  So if your amp has two 30 amp fuses in it, you should have a 60 amp in line fuse.  Since your amp has 1 60, you need a 60 in line.  Your amp may not necessarilly pull 60 amps, but the 60 amp fuse is just a precaution.  Don't set your amp gains too high either.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
83 amp alternator minus 60 amps for amplifier = 23 amps for the car.  I think if the car only needed 23 amps it wouldn't have an 83 amp alt.  You will need to upgrade the alt.  Look for a 150 amp alt.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dj hellfire 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
83 amp alternator minus 60 amps for amplifier = 23 amps for the car.  I think if the car only needed 23 amps it wouldn't have an 83 amp alt.  You will need to upgrade the alt.  Look for a 150 amp alt.

This is true, but you have to remember that the amp is not going to constantly be pulling 60 amps.  I have a RF 700S that is rated to use a 60 amp fuse running off an 80 amp alt and I play it loud.  My car handles it pretty well.  Of course the lights dim when I blast it , but the car doesn't stall or anything.  I've had the amp in their for about a year and a half with no problems.  I also have a second amp for the interior speakers that is rated at 30 amps.  So what's that, 80 amp alt minus 90 amps for amps = -10 amps for the car?  That means my car isn't able to run when the system is on, doesn't it?

Buying a 150 amp alt would be a good thing to do, but it's not really a necessity at the moment, as long as your current alt is in good condition.  I would say just wait til your stock alt starts to fail to upgrade to a 150.  Yes, a high powered amp will reduce the life of an alt, so your 83 amp or my 80 amp alts will not last for ever under increased load.  If you got money, go for the alt now.  If not, it can wait.

dj hellfire 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
You should be fine with the alternator that you have.  Get yourself a good battery and upgrade all the power and ground lines in the engine bay.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
that's all a waste of time and effort. I have a 1600 watt 1200 watt RMS amp with 120 amps of in-line fuse on the amp itself. I have a 2000 neon. I ran 4 gauge wire to the amp and put a 1 farad cap about 3 inches from the amp connection. i can run my stereo at full power with the A/C and the headlights still don't dim when the subs bump. just don't buy a cheap cap.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have made a general rule to not argue with forbidden, and when i do ibetter be able to back it up with facts. To call his advice a waste of time is not a good idea

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
it may be fine for normal use, you may get headlight flashing at night at high volumes, but I think you'll be fine, just be sure to upgrade the ground to the body the factory one barely handles the factory stuff

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic