icon

Seperate battery in trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Basshead83 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
Instead of running my power wire for my amp under my carpet and to the engine compartment to my battery, can i just buy another battery, put it in a box , and put it in my trunk, to avoid having to do all that running o fthe wires?  If so what are the pros and cons of doing this? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Lee GREENE
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
It can be done, but you still need to run wires to the battery to charge it. To properly charge both batteries you require a battery isolator. It will charge both batteries as required. You must still run wires from the alternator to the isolator and from the isolator to each battery. Depending on the length of run of the wires you will require a certain gauge of wire to safely and adequately charge the batteries. The rear battery must also be secured so as to not move around and cause damage or a short circuit. If the battery is not a sealed type then it will also have to be vented only to the outside of the vehicle otherwise dangerous acid fumes won't be expelled out of the car. If there is room under the hood that is a better place to locate it.
Unless your system will completely overwhelm your alternator, you would be more advised to just run a heavy power line off the front battery to the trunk for your amp. Don't forget to place an appropriate sized fuse close to battery as possible. Adding extra batteries to a car is a large and expensive job to get good and safe results.
sparky
deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

sparky said it all

First Class MECP Installer
JDub 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have a battery in my trunk right now. But what I am going to be doing once I get enough cash is I am going to get a Cap and a Distribution block. That way I can run everythign I need of the cap and not have to worry about the other battery.
JDub 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have a battery in my trunk right now. But what I am going to be doing once I get enough cash is I am going to get a Cap and a Distribution block. That way I can run everythign I need off the cap and not have to worry about the other battery.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry to tell you JDub that a cap is only designed to give instantanous bursts of current that an amp requires for bass notes. It can discharge this current far quicker than a battery can, but it then must be recharged by the alternator. Your system still runs off the alternator. Adding another battery only gives you more time to play the audio system without the engine on or to supplement the alt. if your system's current requirements exceed the alt. capabilities.
sparky
JDub 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
No, I am going to get rid of the battery in my trunk and replace it with a Cap. I am not going to have the battery and the cap in their at the same time.
aflaten 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
What Sparkie is saying you are better off with the battery in the back than just a cap.  Caps are for newbs:)
ramboy 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Just make sure you secure that battery GOOD. If you get in an accident that sucker becomes a missle. Just a warning, they like to explode on impact too. 
if i just cut the red wire....no the green wire ,, oh damnit i'm so screwed..
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Caps are not just for newbies but also for big SPL vehicles. When you are in the lanes those instant power boast are a big help.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic