icon

Do I have a ground problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bcntx84 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

I am running a Punch 3002 amp pushing 2 Punch P1 Stage 1 subs.  My problem is a humming sound that gets worse when I begin to close the trunk, as soon as I begin to open the trunk the problem decreases dramatically.  Could this be a ground problem?  I have swapped RCA cables with no change.  The vehicle is a 2000 mazda millenia.  Any ideas as to what is causing this???

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
It could be a ground loop picking up the metal in the trunk lid, but I suspect it might have to do with the amp/subs.  Closing the trunk lid closes up the air space, and acoustics are going to be different.  So the humming may just not be as apparant with the trunk raised.  First, disconnect battery negative before making any changes.  Relocate the ground wire, make sure it is less than 2 feet long, gauge is same as power.  Then verify the ohm load on the amp to make sure it is correct, that the speakers are wired properly.  And reset the amp gain.  Let us know what you find out.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bcntx84 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Relocated ground and tested ohm load, which was good at 4 ohms.  With engine off sounds fine, start engine and slowly turn up gain and get humming again.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be acoustics when the trunk is lowered, because the speakers jump more...like there is a stronger signal when it is lowered..sounds weird, but definetly happens.  I'm definetly at a loss at this point.. Possibly a bad RCA Signal converter???

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well, you should set the gain with the engine off, so it can be at the correct setting and you're not turning it up randomly.  After that, inspect the wiring at the engine, spark plug wires, etc.  Look at it in pitch blackness with the engine running and see if there is light along any wires.  Looking for a leak, so to speak.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
shredder130 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
i had the same problem, how long is your ground wire, mine was too long
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
 I had a similar prob. in an s-10 when the doors were shut. Try running a smaller guage wire (about the size of your remote wire) from a screw on the casing of your hu to a screw on the casing of your amp.  I used the stud where the mounting strap is supposed to be hooked up on the hu and a mounting screw on the amp to be sure the screw didn't pass by any critical electronics in the component. It fixed it. I didn't believe it would either, but I had nothing else to try, and an installer suggested this to me. Something to try, anyways! Good luck.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Did I read your second post correctly, have you got this amp running off of a LOC attached to the factory head unit?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bcntx84 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

Forbidden...Yes I am running this AMP off of an LOC  attached to the factory HU.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of LOC is it and does the LOC have gain controls or a brown / black wire that may need to be grounded. Some LOC devices have a separate ground wire in case of a scenario like this.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't catch that like forbidden did, referring to the LOC as a RCA signal converter.  It looks like a good possible way for interference to get into the signal.  It's best to place the LOC close to the amp, instead of at the HU.  Run twisted wire up to the head, or use shorter length and grab the signal at the rear speakers.  Upgrade the LOC if you're not using a high quality type.  Peripheral makes a good one, and I like this one.

Did you find any electrical leaks at the engine?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic