icon

viper 791xv problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ramicio 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

i have a viper 791xv that i installed myself.  it worked flawlessly.  i bought it from my friend for $150 for helping him fix his car.  he got it used on ebay for $300.  anyway, i installed it.  always worked.  well one day i get out of work, and i go to remote start my car.  it does nothing, and my remote beeps that it's getting no signal.  so i'm like OK, my battery is dead.  well i unlock my car by key, and so i open the door, and the alarm goes off.  well this is funny.  my remote says my alarm is going off, but i can't stop it (didn't have the valet switch programmed yet.)  i couldn't even start the car manually because of the starter disable.  i had to unhook the positive on the alarm so i could start my car.  well later on i decide to see if my alarm works right, so i hook it back up.  it works fine, till the morning, where it does the same thing.  i have been unhooking and hooking the alarm up since then.  the last time i tried it, i never armed the system at all, just locked my doors.  well that time i go out to my car, and the starter kill is active, even after no arming of the alarm.  i hear that the old 790xv had a problem about not working, but never read anything about it.  do you think the dude who sold my friend this alarm put the 790xv in there with a different remote and install guide?  would it be worth to get another system, but brand spanking new, and just plug and play?

thank you:  tim ramich

ramicio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
oh, and to add to this, i had to fix the antenna wire.  the one connector on the end got torn off while routing the wire through, and the cable is kinda dry-rotted.  well i used a 4-pin connector from a sound card out of a computer, and soldered the jack onto the board of the brain.  at some point a copper trace on the circuit board broke off, but i repaired it.  it has been working flawlessly since until this started happening.  so i think if i get a new system, all the cables will be fresh and new, and the brain will be brand new, and not have broken things in it.
juicedgsr95 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you have a bad connection in the antenna plug.  These alarms will not operate without the antenna attatched.

Also if the starter kill was activated the alarm had to be set off. (or installed incorrectly)

How long did it work flawlessly?

How did you make your connections?

Where did you get your vehicle wiring information and did you double check it with a meter or put all your faith in the diagram?

Adam

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
there are antenna problems.  unplug both ends (antenna and brain) and plug them back in.  that fixes *most cases.
MECP certified installer
ramicio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
i tried giving it a new ground, and tried moving the antenna, but still stops working after like a day.  it worked flawlessly in my friend's garage while i was working on the car, for about a month.  i soldered and heat shrinked all my connections.  i got my wiring info from my car's workshop manual.  antenna problems - why would it send to my transmitter, but recieve nothing.  at some point i did try to unplug and replug it, and that didn't work.  the starter kill got activated, but the alarm wasn't armed, so there was no way for it to be set off.  i think the brain is screwed since it armed itself.  the alarm works fine, too when it flakes out.  goes off like it's supposed to, and can be disarmed with the valet button.  only thing going wrong is the communication.
ramicio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i installed the alarm myself, worked flawlessly, started getting flaky (wouldn't receive remote transmissions, but told me the alarm was going off.) i got rid of the lcd remote, and i had lost the backup remote. i yanked the brain and antenna out. fast forward a few months later. i found the old backup gay remote. ok now i want to try to get the alarm working again. well, whenever i plug it into power it goes off. so i do my valet thing to deactivate it. fine. well i go to program the remote. open the door, turn the key to ignition, press the valet button twice to do arm, then hold it in. no beeps or nothing. WTF. these have gotta be the gayest alarms out! please help. i need to get this working.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed about 50 791xv's and seen 1 that had a problem. it was the antenna.
the starter disable is programmed auto on. Viper alarms will engage starter kill 60 seconds after ign off.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
ramicio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
but why won't it let me put in a remote at all? i couldn't even get it to beep or anything after i disarmed it with the valet button.
jaxman 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
Change the antenna.
Derekc 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

ramicio:

Do you still have the same problem or replacing the antenna fixed the problem? I seem to have some similar problem. At first, the second immediate unlock was not accepted no acknowledgement. Then, I can't even send or receive at all. Then I changed the brain, it is good for a week. This morning, it stopped sending or receiving. Tonite, it came back to life. The problem is so intermittent that troubleshooting is difficult. Next time it dies, I will swap out the antenna and see.

Just want to know how you have solved your problem...

dc
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic