icon

trunk rattling

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harperl7 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
when I turn up my bass, my trunk rattles quite violently. i will be getting a new car next summer, so i was wondering if there was a cheap/non-permanent thing that could be done to reduce the rattling.
1990 Buick Century
Two Solo-baric L7s 12"
Rockford Fosgate 1501bd
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X569
Two Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12"
Rockford Fosgate Power 1501bd
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Polymeric Mastic 0.070" 32" x 54" 0.10 -30° to +300°F 0.7 Black  9709T19  14.62

on page 3270 at http://www.mcmaster.com/ ...$14.62 per 12 sq ft and actual shipping charges.  Cheapest way I have seen yet for small quantity ordering.  Acts like Dynamat, may even be the same thing without the name.  Use credit card, give a business name (make one up)...ships the following AM.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
cheapest thing I could think of? TURN DOWN THE BASS!!! hahaha beat that suckerss!!!! ok sorry. its way past my bedtime.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
try lowering the locking assembly, and/or raising the bump stops on the truck lid. makes it a bit harder to close but keeps the trunk from rattling quite as bad...
Quad L Handyman services
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
Turn your system up and feel the panels in your trunk, find which ones are rattling and try to tighten them.  There is a free solution...
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
u gotta get some kind of sound deadner.  especially in trunks, subs are gonna rattle it to a ridiculous point!!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I would try some fatmat or brownbread. Its permanent but there arnt really any other solutions, its not too expensive either.

BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

what you do is remove the rattling parts. there has to be  a free solution.

also  try tightning bolts and screws. and let some air in your trunk through the back seat

what the rattling is cause of massive air trying to get out.

what subs u got?

bucktussa 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

I know this sounds ghettofied but my back dash rattled really bad. I found some thick carpet padding laying around the garage and said why not try it out?  So I took the dash apart and layed it on tyte and whoot it worked.  Prollly wont do the trunk though just me 2 cents.

xThumPx 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
I had an '87 Audi 5000, trust me, it rattled. Go to the Home Depot, get yourself a roll of pink weather stripping, about 4" wide and 1/4" thick. Go around your trunk trying to shake everything, or hit anything with your hand. If it makes a squeak or a rattle, deaden the sound with the padding. It will take a while but it will work. It don't look the prettiest on the inside, but the outside will be noticeably quieter. Oh, and cut and tape a couple strips to the back of your license plate, that will really help you out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic