the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

RE xxx 18 wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
If this sub has 4 coils rated at 1.4ohm a piece, how would you go about powering this sub? 4 amps? 2 larger amps?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  

you could get just about any amp that is rated a little over at 4ohms and run all of the voice coils in series could you not? if you used 4 amps or just 2 amps on any 1 sub you need to use an o-scope to check that the amps are like perfectly matched.

Quad L Handyman services
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Any 2 ohm stable stereo amplifier will work. Simply wire two coils in series, for 2.8 ohms, and wire it to ine channel of a BEEFY two channel amp, and do the same with the other two coils.
OR, like Ketel22 said, wire them all in series, and bridge the same amp to the entire 5.6 ohm load, STILL for 2.8 ohms per channel. You will end up with somewhere pretty close to right between the 4ohm power rating and the 2ohm power rating of the amplifier.
What kind of woofer is that? I have never heard of a woofer RATED by the manufacturer at 1.4 ohms per voice coil. Is that a number you are getting when testing the coils with a VOM?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got into RE's website and they have a diagram on how to wire the Quad coil subs. I think the best bet is to use the parallel/series route which will end up with a 1.4ohm load. Am I safe in assuming that I could use a mono amp that is stable to 1ohm, or will I be better off using a amp like a JL 1000/1 or JBL BPX 2200.1 that gives it rated wattage anywhere between 1 and 4 ohm? By the way, they have a MT line of subs that they say they can't give a warranty on due to the extreme nature of that product. I've seen the specs and they were something like $9999.00, 5000 watts, freq range of DC-80hz. It's a 24" sub with a mounting depth of 25". What does "DC" stand for, dead current?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
It also said it's availible with dual and quad .7 or 1.4 coils. double, triple, and quad spiders and extreme BI. I'm guess this wouldn't be for a daily driver?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic