icon

Bridging Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cles 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine MRV-F302 4/3/2 amp, running 2 6X9 speakers and 2 10" subs. The subs are 4 ohm and single voice coil. My question is, can I wire the subs parallel and bridged (ie. a 2 ohm load on the amp) for more power to the subs??
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think that amp is 2 ohm stable.  If it isn't, it will overheat and keep cutting off.
Do it right the first time
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
"My question is, can I wire the subs parallel and bridged (ie. a 2 ohm load on the amp) for more power to the subs??"
The answer is no. Apline amp when bridge are very stable to run at 4 ohm. Dropping the load down to 2 ohm as raydawg357 said can overheat and eventually cause damage to your amp.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Bridging Subs -- posted image.
cles 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'll leave things alone until I find another amp. Thanks for the replies.
cles 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, here's another dumb question....if I wire them bridged in series to get an 8 ohm load, will I get more power to them than the 2 channel method I have now, the same power or less power??
raydawg357 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
You will get less power.  With that amp your only other option would be to get two 8 ohm subs.  This way when you bridge your amp it will see 4 ohms and not overheat.
cles 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Okay....sorry to be a pain...one other option?? Could I run the speakers off the HU, and run just the subs off the amp?? (bridge channels 1 and 2 to one sub, and channels 3 and 4 to the other sub) The amp would see 4 ohms, and should provide 120 watts versus 50 watts to the subs?? (My head unit is a CDA 9833).
raydawg357 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that would be a good alternative.  You would loose some power from your rear speakers, but you will have more bass.
JDub 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

Thats what I would do. But in may car I have two amps one for my speakers and one for my subs. Just keep in mind the more ohms you have the more resistance you are going to get.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic