Question on MB Quart Q series

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xThumPx 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hey what's crackin,
I'm about to purchase the MB Quart Q series, and my question is like this. I'm kind of new to the crossover game, and I'm looking at the crossover and I'm seeing 12 terminals. Now, I put in a pair of Alpine Type R components in the past and they were no problem: 6 terminals, nice and straightforward. This is what I don't understand, Why are there 12 instead of 6 for a 2-way component set? Obviously I don't know what the deal is so any advice would be appreciated. I'm connecting them to the Alpine MRV-450 4-channel amp, if that helps. Thanks to anyone who can explain this to me!
xThumPx, Chicago
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

On MB's website it says that the tweeter can be tuned differently by utilizing different terminals. That's about all the info I can find on it. Maybe one of the dealers on the forum can shed some light.....

Mine are quite older- they were in the truck when I bought it. I'm guessing they're the 1997 models. The crossovers are mounted up where I can't see them, and have never had a reason to have needed to move them or take them out, so I don't even know how they are hooked up, or if there is more than 6 terminals on each. I have always loved the way they sound in my truck, so never needed to change anything (exc. subs, amps, and HU!  ; )    ) 

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
The speakers are also bi-wireable, thus you can use one set of inputs for the mid and one set for the tweeters. (4 wires input) + 2 neg outputs + 1 woofer pos output + 3 tweeter pos outputs (choose one of them for attenuation) + another set for I'm not really sure of hand. I'll just have to find out.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
audiokid1 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Tweeter and woofer input (4) for bi amping.  (4) outputs, then selectable tweeter attenuation (4) 
xThumPx 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
So I guess what I'm looking at are multiple options for mid and tweeter frequency outputs then. Basically, doing manually what would otherwise be done electronically on an amp or better HU. If this is the case, then NO PROBLEM. Thanks for the input! If, though, there's something else I'm missing and someone has a trick they know to wiring these up, I'd really appreciate any advice on what to do with them. I have an alpine HU with selectable crossover. I can't remember the model, but it was the best model they had with an internaly amp in 2002, the 98_ _, if that helps. Thanks everyone for the input, I apppreciate it!
xThumPx, Chicago

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic