icon

10 Sub recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
I have the Lightning Audio Fast and Furious 10" sub with FF150.2 amp.  I 'blew' the sub, probably from using the bass boost at too loud a volume.  What can you guys recommend as a good sub to use with this amp. The power  specs are 150x1@4ohms rms is what I would run the amp at.  The box that came with the package is a single sub setup and I believe the volume is @ .70 cubic feet.  This is what I got when I plugged the measurements into the formula on this forum.  Any ideas for a good 10" sub that will fall in the $200.00 or less category.  Thanks in advance.
Harv
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the sub you had was a good match to that amp, so I suspect you don't have the amp set up properly.  Sounds to me like it is clipping like crazy and you fried the sub because of that.  Before you buy ANY speaker to connect to that amp, make sure the gain is set properly, the low-pass filter is set to no greater than 250Hz and turn the bass boost off.
Support the12volt.com
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Most people had a bad experience with sonys.

I would suggest the sony, only because i own a set of 10"

and blast them as much as possible. and they are still doing great.

there about $50 each. pretty good.

Try a 10" solobaric kickers. or a 10" eclipse. or a 10w7.

Good Luck with your system.

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Try looking at the 10" JL w3. BangBang suggested the W7, which is a good sub, but your amp would not be powerfull enough, its out of your price range, and the box is way too small for it. If you dont like the JL, try looking at the aluminum Eclipse subs and see what they have to offer.
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks DYohn, I think leaving the bass boost on killed it because I always had the gain up between 1/2 and 3/4 on the dial and the low pass filter at @80 to 130 hz because the dial goes from 40 to 400hz.  I turned the bass boost on after I adjusted the gain.  Hey, you live and you learn, hopefully.

BangBang, which Sony model is that. Is that the one which says 300 watts rms, 800 peak? , I'm only interested in rms.

DJMini, the JL 10w3 sounds good.  I just have to find a place in the philadelphia area that actually sell JL audio to listen to it.  JL is rather expensive here.  

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Harv

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic