Clarion Head Unit Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lamprolite 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

My girlfriend has a 98 Mazda Proteage, with a clarion radio/cassette deck. The other day she was cleaning her dash, when the trim around the head unit fell off. She pulled the head unit out a little to put the trim back on, and now the unit is completely dead.

She bought the car used so we have no idea how the thing is wired. The funny thing is, the cigarrette lighter is dead also. So i'm thinking they wired the Constant 12V connection to the cigarrette lighter.

Any idea or advice on what has happened or how to correct the problem?

I've check all the fuses and they all seem to be ok.

Thanks

BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not 4:20 %  sure.

But heres my 69 cent:

When she pulled out the deck it must have triggered the automatic
whutcha call it "security" system. The car must of thought that someone is trying to steal your valuable stereo so it shut off from ever working and also in someway caused the  power outtage to go out in cig lighter. YOu might have to take it to the dealer to reset it.

If not, then something came loose! If you can find the diagram of the wire harness, youse a voltameter and check to see if theres any power running through?

Anyone can add to this thread?

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
More than likely she unplugged it or pulled a wire loose. It's been known to happen. And if the cig lighter went out when that happend on a car that new...whoever wired it didn't know what they were doing.
Time to break out the old multimeter and start checking wires. Have you gotten the radio all the way out of the dash yet?
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Clarion Head Unit Help -- posted image.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
And is it the orignial radio?
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Clarion Head Unit Help -- posted image.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a simpler solution. Rather than guessing why it didn’t work. Used a digital meter and test if you got all you power going into the unit. Power, remote and ground.
Take the head unit out. I don’t know your skill level, but if you don’t know how we can always help you out. On the back of the radio there is a connector. Trying push it back in since it could have gotten loose when the head unit was pull out. If the unit doesn’t turn on then test it for power.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Clarion Head Unit Help -- posted image.
Lamprolite 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, i've taken the head unit all the way out, and un-plugged the harness, and plugged it back in all the way, so I don't think it's the harness. It's not the factory radio, its one the previous onwer installed. I'll bring home a multi meter with me today and check all the connections in the harness and try to find the offending wire. I managed to get the wiring diagram off 12Volts's wonderful site.  My uncle "a back yard mechanic" said it's usual for people to connect the constant 12v wire to the "hot" cigarrette lighter wire for the memory and preset on the head unit. Is this a mistake? I"m rather new to automotive wiring.

Thanks.

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
"My uncle "a back yard mechanic" said it's usual for people to connect the constant 12v wire to the "hot" cigarrette lighter wire for the memory and preset on the head unit. Is this a mistake?"
I see this type of occurrences a lot. There is usually a constant 12v wire at the radio harness, but most often it's accidentally shorted out. As a result, most people would search and use the cigarette lighter wire as their alternative constant 12v supply. Is it a mistake? Yes and no. Yes, if you are using the cigarette lighter to power up some other type of equipment say a laptop or any electronic equipment that draws about 10 amps. In that case you will end up shorting the fuse to the cigarette lighter since most car are design with 10-15 amps draw only. On the contrary, if you don’t used the cigarette lighter for any other purpose and at the same time you couldn’t locate the 12v constant that you shorted out to the radio harness. I don’t see why not.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Clarion Head Unit Help -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic