icon

Carpeting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 5 Cubic foot box  (yes, I plan on moving the box soon, if you saw my other post)  and began carpeting it.   I have 4 of the six sides covered in carpet.   The one corner that had the cut in them didn't come out too well ( black magic marker was used to hide the seam, which isn't terrible, since that seam isn't visisble)   What's the best way to cover the sides?   I have the flaps half attached, ready to be glued up, but i want a flawless seam,  since 3 sides will be visible!   HOW DO I DO THIS PROPERLY?!?!
ALSO, I"M LOOKING FOR VINYL ROLLS, WHERE CAN I FIND THEM?
~wayland
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
I believe selectproducts.com sells vinyl, but not sure if in rolls. For the carpeting, you want to leave about 1 inch over hang, contact cement the carpet, and go back and trim the excess at a 45º angle. Then do the same on all sides and when its all dry, you take your finger over the corners and scruff up where the 2 45º angles meet. Its alot harder then explained. I am sh*tty at carpeting. Good luck.
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

5 cu. ft. is freakin huge dude.  Anyways, I need a little more info to help you out.  What kind of carpet are you using?  How wide is the carpet? What are the box dimensions.  In general carpeting a box is like wraping a gift box with wrapping paper, you start on the leasdt seen side and work your way around and cris cross cut the ends.  To make an "invisible seam"  you make sure you have at least a 1" overlap then spray adhesive (3M super 77 works well) the surface, lay down one side then overlap tighly.  next take a very sharp utility knife and cut down through the part where the two overlap in a nice straight line.  Remove the excess from both layers then sray a little more adhesive on the back of the layer that was on top and lay it down.  You should have a good seam at this point.  good luck.

If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
yea.....well big box for big plans.....haha.   No, really, i'm running a couple of audiobahn 12 inchers......and they have several different suggested sizes......  smaller for daily...... a medium for daily/ hard bass hits,   and large for competition......  so i could of had a box even bigger than it....   I've already glued 4 corners, like I said, but i left the two side pieces untouched.  
Each corner has a flap ready to be glued over it, and it's still connected to one of the side pieces carpet... (so only 3 corners will have to meet, the other one is just a continuation.....hard to put in words actually) 
Do i just do the 45 degree angle cut after it's glued down like suggested?
I didn't wrap it the way TAudio suggests, (i think i know what he means...... so that each side corner, on a rectangular box, will have carpet coming into an X shape at the center)
I'm using a semi-thick gray marine carpet, from the home depot, just so i could hide the seams better.   Each strand is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.  The carpet is about 7 feet wide, so i'd  have enough overhang to do the edges....
~wayland

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic