icon

amps to run speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slinkey 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have got my head unit its one of those pioneer dehp650mp and i also have my speakers there the yellow pioneer compition model and my componets are mtx thunder 6000 but i need a amp that will run the speakers will without pushing them to hard.i want to run about 75 wrms into each speaker????
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
For lower cost solutions, I can recomend US Acoustics   Try a USX 2080 for your components and a USX-600D for your sub.
Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I second those US Acoustics amps.
slinkey 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
ok thanks for all the help but i dont think il bother getting a amp 2 run my speakers cos my splits are 50 w rms and my 6"s are 60 w rms and my head unti is 50 by 4 mofset power so i think that should have plenty of power im not sure what do u guys think???
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

Give it a try with power from the head unit...people do it all the time.  But you will get a world of difference and much higher quality sound by amplifying that signal.  Look for a 4 channel amp rated 4 X 50 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.  And I will also propose the US Acoustics amps- good quality starter system and will keep you from getting bamboozled by the junk amps you find everywhere.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

No no no, your head-unit's amp will push 50 watts max. Not 50 watts RMS. An external amp (like the US Acoustics ones) will sound so much better because they actually push their rated power. Your cd player probobly would output some where from 16 to 18 watts RMS.

soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah if you have the money stay away form deck power. It will sound so much better if you stay away from deck power.
Soccer_aholicamps to run speakers -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Your head unit will play OK at best, it will make 50watts x 4 if it is on life support. An outboard amplifier will bring your speakers to life.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
slinkey 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok them i will get a amp to run my speakers but is there a amp that is 4 channel 50w by 4 rms??? how much are they and are they easy to wire up??.with my amp to run my ssb would i need a distribiution box or somethink and how easy are they to use???.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
For question 1:  are you kidding me?  Take a ride through the world wide web of car audio, you will find many.  For starters, here is an MTX amp at Crutchfield's.  Wherever you purchase, whether it is locally or internet retailer, they will also have an 8 gauge wiring kit available, too.  Avoid the Ebay experience, you'll do fine without it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic