icon

Factory Amplified General Info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I've been installing for almost a year now, and I feel embarassed because I know so little about factory amplified systems.  Does anyone know of any good souces of information (websites preferably) on factory amplified systems.  Such as what cars could have them, what manufacturers use what brands of systems. ie: jbl, bose, etc.  Also locations of factory amplifiers in different vehicles and whether it is better to bypass them or integrate them when adding a head unit.  Links to websites with more info would be appreciated. 
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'd be surprised if you found such a database...it's all up in our heads

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Which means that you have stumbled onto a great resource for this kind of info. Learn from the site, I learn from it all the time.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Manoftools 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
If such a site exists, it would be a great reference.  I find myself scratching my head many times trying to remember the location/bypass for factory amps.  I did that at the shop today actually.....
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
yea factory amps can give us installers nightmares!  some of the worst is on the early 90's ford vans!  as far as finding out if there is an amp...test speaker wires with a multimeter for ohms, if u get no ohm load then they arent connected directly to a speaker, which means there is an amp somewhere in the car.  good places to look are in the trunk behind the carpet panels on the wheel wells and stuff.  sometimes mounted on the back deck.  behind the glovebox, behind the radio.  under the console, or on each speaker as with the bose systems.   sometimes under the passenger seat, and sometimes under the back seat.  hope this helps, what vehicle in particular are you wanting to know about?  i can probably tell u where the amps are located
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

As was stated before, in time after locating amps, you'll start to remember where they are, where to bypass them, etc., but alot of times, manufacturers seem to be pretty consistent as to where they put them( i.e. Toyota trucks-behind the deck/air conditioner controls, Older Chevy trucks/Suburbans-Under the dash over the gas pedal., etc., etc.) Like kgerry said, its in our heads, lol, but this is a powerful, and resourceful sight for info, if you have a specific vehicle in interest, post for info, and most of the time, someone will get it to you pretty quickly. I have noticed that there are a few of us that are on here day and night, and have a very roundful knowledge of 12V technology!! Good Luck.

specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, plus theres no antenna behind the radio usually in factory amplified vehicles.  I had no specific vehicle in mine, I'm just getting tired of scratching my head everytime I get a customer with anything nicer than an acura, and end up having to call my supervisor.  I wish there was a website that said, factory amp located here.  I took apart an acura tl or cl, if foget which, and finally thought that I had found the amp.  It was under the carpeting behind a metal barrier by the passenger side fire wall.  It had the same size plugs and everything, but ended up being some vehicle computer component. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic